Mindbelt | The Keener's Editor (version 1.3)

Utilities for editing Keen:Vorticons levels.
AST

Post by AST »

Not sure what you mean by an unlimited number of episodes. I am think that this means the ext part of the file i.e ck1. If this is the case then if it is possible/practical to patch the extension looked for in the keen exe file it would be possible to have episodes from say ext 000 to 999.
Just a thought
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

@LL All right, about the tile replace thing--I'm still not sure exactly how I'm going to fit it in with the existing model I'm using for the other tools. I'll think of something. I dunno, not really that worried about it. Now, I'm more interested/worried in this comment:
levellord wrote:(Including making sprites add to the points.)
??? Were sprites used as point items in those games? How did you put that into the script file? Because, (a) Mindbelt as it currently is on my computer cannot handle sprites adding to the "totals" column in the level stats screen, and (b) if I were to add such a feature, I'd like to know how you think the script file should look.

@AST I mean that I have made an attempt to remove all Keen-specific code from the editor, and leave only engine-specific code. This editor will be able to edit any game with the same file formats, and would even be able to have levels from two different mods based off the same episode, because MB no longer knows that there are 3 episodes of Keen: Vorticons!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

CK, you're a genius.

In Dangerous Dave there is an ammo sprite and five item sprites, each worth different amounts. (You can also open doors with spacial 'door item' sprites to reveal a sprite item.) and an extra life item. (There are also only about 4 killing tiles, 2 exit tiles and no animation.)

Shadow Knights has four types of weapon and health items. (But is otherwise very simple. It does however have a tile limit per level like Keen 4-6 does.

I was unable to 'fully' add sprites as points as you said, but I could give them their own categories (Heal, Magic, etc) which work in some cases, a sorta 50:50.

If you want I can send you the games and/or their levels and extracted sprites.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

If you want I can send you the games and/or their levels and extracted sprites.
I could do with that stuff too. I've still got the extracted graphics for DD2 and SW that you sent me a couple of long years ago, but not the levels.
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

this is a nice modding program , and the only one where i have succes using it , but i can't find how i can link the world map with the levels , do someone know it?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

By placing sprites with the level numbers on the world map. Say, if you want to make entry to level 3, place sprite with value 3. Keep it one block, or 2x2 blocks, but other shapes made with the level sprites aren't allowed. (This determines will there be 1-tile or 4-tile 'Done' mark once the level is completed.)

Edit: And welcome to the forums.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Don't forget that level specific blocking tiles can be placed too, though I'm not sure mindbelt does this automatically (For Keenwright it was x* to place a level block where x was the sprite number. It actually works out [In hex] as -x)
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

i can't find that on mindbelt , and i can't go in teleporters
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, it seems Mindbelt can't do these things (But probbably will be able to in future editions.)

In the meantime I can set up any teleporters or blocking sprites you might need if you wish.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Indeed, welcome to the forums.

Second of all, those were fun levels - it's neat to know they were made with my editor. :-)

And, as for the point on hand, yes it would probably be good if MB did that asterisk-blocking-thing like KeenWright does. I'll look into it. Anyone know exactly how it works? If not, I can just poke around KeenWright's source some more.

(edit) Alright, never mind about this question. Xky answered it in the thread about shikadi's Keen 3 level pack.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

You also need to do linkable teleports (Perhaps using the same red lines as teleports and bridges in level. It's easy enough to figure them out manually, but it'd be good to have a shortcut.)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Teleporters for what, Keen 3? Can you point me at an post about those?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, this is the result of my work on them; they're not too complex sprites to generate, though I don't know how hard they'll be to code. http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/Index/K ... orters.txt

If you have any questions not covered by that little summary, I can try to answer them as best I can, it's been a while since I had to design a teleporter map.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Hmm, sorry, no, I don't think I will make implementing this a priority. Instead I think I'll do something that allows you to type in the sprite numbers in hex as well as in decimal.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

It's all good. (It's your editor after all.)