Concept Art

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
CommanderSpleen

Concept Art

Post by CommanderSpleen »

If you have any concept art to contribute, post it here. I'll compile a list in this post, which can be used as a resource when the time comes to work on the graphical elements.

TheRealZXD has whipped up this stuff, aimed at Episode 2:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45147165/

I see potential in a couple of these, particularly the stelagmite, which could be worked in as a species related to the mimrock. In fact, I'm inclined to make that an official Episode 2 creature (name pending) right now.

The snail in rollerskates and the flame insect also stand out as possible candidates (though modified somewhat).

A snail creature would be nifty. I believe it's been done in another mod, but they could be vouched as a slug relative.

I like the masked demon idea. A demon doesn't suit the Keen world, but the mask element intrigues me.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Very cool.
That stalagmite thing might make a nice scrub replacement? Of course, then theres the decision of making it spiky (and kill Keen), or flat, (so Keen can stand on it). Or, how about, the spike can go in or out, so the spike is in when the guy is on the ground (so Keen can stand on it), and spiky when it's on the ceiling. That'd require some patching, though.

I can go draw some little doodles. In fact, I'm going to... right... now.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Ok, sorry about the double post, but I thought someone would have replied by now.
Anyway, I drew up a few doodles, too.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45219945/
The best part is that they are already the right size and palette for a mod!
There's not a lot, and some aren't extremely creative, but I did draw some new guys.
(Edit: you might need to zoom in on that picture. I forgot to stretch it before saving and uploading it.)
CommanderSpleen

Hehe, nice. The green lad on the left is probably my favourite. It would be an intereting exercise to work in the flying green bug somewhere. There aren't any floating sprites in Keen 1, but there's the robot in Keen 2 and we could patch a sprite to act like a horizontal lift in Keen 3.

No idea what that red squidghost thing is, but it seems Keenish. I can see it crawling across the floor, or jumping about.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

The green lad on the left is probably my favourite.
Probably mine, too. I would have liked the blue spiked guy better, but it came out too much like a nospike.
Actually, I started to add some red lines to the bottom of the green guy's feet, when I realized he looked oddly similar to Homestar Runner. Well, not exactly, but he's got long legs, a round-ish head, and a stupid look on his face.
No idea what that red squidghost thing is, but it seems Keenish. I can see it crawling across the floor, or jumping about.
It was supposed to be some sort of octopus (or rather, a quadopus, with only four tentacles).
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

enemies

Post by Ceilick »

Heres three ideas. The snail would replace the butler bot and would kill keen on touch. The ball would replace the vorticon, rolling for the walking animation. The spider would replace the garg, or it could be the vorticon.

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Ceili ... nemies.jpg
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Woah. Those are really nice. A bit too evil looking for a Keen game, though.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Nonsense! Keen can be as evil as he wants!
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Whoa, there's activity here again.

Here's all of my old concept art.

Given time enough, I can probably start converting the general stuff and house into actual tiles. I'm not entirely familiar with the engine limitations, outside of palette, though.
CommanderSpleen

Oh, marvelous!

The main limitation to keep in mind is that we have less than 700 tiles available to us. Keep things as simple as you can, but don't worry about it too much--we'll tweak and hack things up to make them fit in.

Does anyone know what potential there was with that Keen 3 patch Levellord (?) produced, that allowed extra tiles to be added? It would be great if we have enough room for Keen 4-6 style level entrances.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Ah, what I'd give for JJ2's 1024 tiles and multiple sets. 700 is a nice number, though.
levellass

Post by levellass »

There is an unofficial tileset that you can add tiles to, so we can all see how much space there is left and add/delete tiles as necessary.

The tiles avalible in Keen 1 are 680; an expansion patch can't be used unless you find a way to put the tli information outside of the EXE (Keen 3 had unused space, Keen 1 does not.) Memory limitations also limit the number of tiles avalible. (LL's patch had a maximum of 980 tiles, much, much less had to be used as the engine couldn't load them all.)