to-be Keen 4-6 editor

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
z-one

Post by z-one »

The new version of the editor is here:

exe only: http://z-one.uw.hu/files/knedit05bin.ZIP
full package: http://z-one.uw.hu/files/knedit05.ZIP

The new version has less bugs now (I hope) and with keyboard support it is easier to use for those of you who can handle the keyboard too! :-D Just select "Show mapcursor" in the "View" menu.
The editor now saves some settings: the width of the tilelist window, this mapcursor usage and whether to fade unused layers or not. And it doesn't resize the tilelist when you load something.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

This might not be related to your editor, but when i try to enter one of my new levels, the screen just goes black, and sometimes the game shuts down. Does this have to do with the way i constructed the level, or is this editor related?

Edit: nevermind, solved the problem, put the wrong keen sprite in. Also thanks for the example of the tile images, i got it working now :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, thats it; it has reached prospective perfection.

[Theoretical perfection would involve Keen Dreams, but thats just a pipe dream]

It cannot be inproved, congratualtions winner of the 2006 Keen awards.
MultiMania
Patch Master

Post by MultiMania »

[Theoretical perfection would involve Keen Dreams, but thats just a pipe dream]
Well, I just sucessfully decompressed the levels today so, it may not be a dream for much longer.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Whoaly sh1t!! Keen Dreams support perhaps soon?! Fantastic.
z-one

Post by z-one »

Can the images be extracted too? Please describe the file format here and I'll include KD support for my editor as soon as I can! I need some help with the huffman encoding though. I've never done that but I guess a tutorial isn't too hard to find.
MultiMania
Patch Master

Post by MultiMania »

Well, I'm not sure about Keen Dreams' map format, I'm trying to work it out as we speak, look at the TED5 source, i think that the format is a huffman compressed MAPTEMP file. I've only suceeded in unwrapping the huffman wrapper so far, the whole file is compressed in one big block with the huffman dictionary at $29C46, the maphead is at $1FA50.

Graphics, just read the modkeen2 (with dreams support) sourcecode. It'll tell you everything you need to know.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

I tried downloading the full download, and got an error saying the file can't be found...

This looks great though! I'm going to at least play around with it, and see if I really want to invest the time into another mod.

One question, though... what about music? Can you bring in some kind of new music file? Making my own MIDs for it would be superb.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Good luck Ilsoap; we're a long way from getting new music yet.
z-one

Post by z-one »

The editor was created for my own game and it's only purpose is to be a map editor, so it cannot be used to import anything else, not music and not even graphics. You can do that if anyone writes a program for it. Is there such thing for Keen 1-3?
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

So, this only edits levels? Not graphics?

Not to say that it isn't an accomplishment (because it definitely is), but I'd need have the ability to create my own graphics before I'd even consider making a Keen4 mod.

And yes, it'd probably be a Keen4 mod. Keen4 is freeware, for starters, and has the most character variation.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ilsoap, ever heard of ModKeen2? That can import and export Keen 4-6 graphics too, so graphic editing is possible with that.
grafix

Post by grafix »

And now that you can change the music as well (albeit in a complicated way), the possibilites are huge.
najawa

Post by najawa »

Did I mention that this is the greatest thing sence fried pickles w/sour kraut?

Man, this is great! I mean... it's sooo not TED5!
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

I had not heard of ModKeen2... I've been out of the modding loop for awhile.

And music! Music can be done!

Ooooooh... aaaaaah... the only thing stopping me now would probably be the time factor... doing a proper mod for Keen4 would take a lot of dedicated free time. Still... very tempting.