%egahead

CKPatch is a set of patching tools for all Keen episodes.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

%egahead

Post by levellord »

I'm interested in what the modkeen command %egahead does. My guess is that it opens the graphics file and patches some egahead info into it so it can handle the restructured graphics. [Like the %patchfile command]

What I also want to know is the location that the data is patched and if it is possible to replace or customize this command using the %patchfile command.
MultiMania
Patch Master

Post by MultiMania »

The %egahead command is a ckpatch command, so maybe this topic should go in the ckpatch forum.

But anyway; you were half right, it is a patchfile command that patched the "EGAHEAD" resource from the file specified into the exe (not the graphics file) so that the game knows where each graphic is in the egagraph.

It can be replaced by a %patchfile, although I reccommend you just use %egahead, as it will work on all versions of the games, whereas %patchfile would be version specific. But the %patchfile commands would be [consults modkeen_dreams sourcecode]:

Code: Select all

Keen 4 v1.4: %patchfile 0x21080 egahead.ck4
Keen 5 v1.4: %patchfile 0x21FC0 egahead.ck5
Keen 6 v1.4: %patchfile 0x20F50 egahead.ck6
Keen Dreams v1.13: %patchfile 0x1CB20 egahead.kdr
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

D'oh! CKpatch! I knew something was wrong!

Thanks for the offsets; while my plan didn't work, [extending the amout of graphics the game uses] it suggests that at least for the shareware games, some sort of legal modification will allow this, but Keens4-7 are bloody complex.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

And im having trouble with just getting more than a quarter of the possible tiles done. Lol im going to have so many animation tiles for details its not gonna be funny