Mod Challenge: One-Level Mod

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Ilsoap

Mod Challenge: One-Level Mod

Post by Ilsoap »

Here's a mod challenge for y'all. Make a mod that only has one level (besides the world map).

The only one that has been done like this so far is Flaose's Dangerous Dave mod, and it was a clone of the first level of Super Mario 3. Well, it was good, but there's a lot of potential for something better. Specifically, you'd have a lot of tiles at your disposal, and only one level to focus on drawing them for. You could waste tiles like crazy if you wanted to.

Essentially, I'm wondering who could make the best single-level mod ever.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Hmmm, I accept your challenge. I will need a hot air baloon, rations and five good men.

I expect it to be released sometime around March. In theory you could either waste tiles, or use only a small number of them and zip through your mod. Could this be the start of a speed modding craze?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ok.. I accept the challenge too! :) (Or well, probably I'll quit after a while..) Can any Keen be used? I'd like to use Keen 2.
This kind of thing is really interesting, maybe it should be in some competition form? Or then not. Anyways, good mods are always nice. Although I'm not interested at all making new sprites just because of 1 map. :\
CommanderSpleen

Das Mod Challenge ist güt.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Count me in.

This requires thinking music... *pulls out chiptune collection*
KeenRush wrote:This kind of thing is really interesting, maybe it should be in some competition form? Or then not.
I'd say just leave it as a challenge, a modding exercise. If we turned it into some sort of '24 Hours of Mod', I don't think the end results would be that great.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

You're right. That'd be teh best.

The most annoying in this is all the text patching and sprite drawing. I have couple of ideas. Dunno what to do. :p
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

Sounds good, how about we have a release date of 3/14 and maybe someone could set up an award commission.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Anyways, that's great idea, that 3/14, I think. Would give time for people to work on their stuff, and would make the day even better and people wait it more! Agree!
maybe someone could set up an award commission.
Nice idea as well.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Urk... I hat to think what people will do with just one level. I envision many huge (like 150x150, which I've done and which is really really big) levels, along with some insane traps to make it hard enough; sectioning a level might be difficult (first section, second section, boss section, etc.) but I imagine it wouldn't be that challenging.

I'm feeling kind of swamped by Vox and school right now (nt to mention several other new computer games...), so I will stand by and watch this happen.
XkyRauh

sure

Post by XkyRauh »

I'll have a Keen1 thing ready to go for 3/14... this sounds fun. :-)

--Xky
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Oh no you don't! I'm staying out of any competition. If you want to win, you'll have to raise your standards now!
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Glad to hear this is being well-recieved.

When I wrote this up, I was specifically thinking of that Spaceman Spiff mod, which as far as I know, was never created. That's the type of mod that would flourish with the amount of detail this challenge allows.

And any Keen can be used... but keep in mind, KeenRush, that if you use Keen2, I don't think you'd be able to make a full mod out of it, since at least 8 levels must be beaten to complete the game. If you want to do a single level of a game that can't be completed, however, be my guest.

As for this becoming a competition... I'd rather it didn't. You can if you want, but if anything, I'd rather this be more like an art exhibition than a competition. You have one level (and a map level), to show off; use it wisely. :)

EDIT: Never mind... someone made a patch to change Keen2 when my back was turned. You CAN finish it in one level now.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Hehe, I was just about to quote you and say it is possible. But I think I will be using Keen 1 instead, for couple of reasons.. :)
Sir Bloog

Post by Sir Bloog »

Ok count me in, I'll suprise you with my first ever mod:)
CommanderSpleen

Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

This was an excellent idea, Ilsoap. In the time since you posted this, I've done more modding than I have in the past four months... maybe longer. Combined with MultiMania and Andy's recent Patch Frenzy, alot of damn cool stuff is now underway. I like the way 2005 is looking.

I'm looking forward to what everyone else has in store... I know you're gonna love what I'm cooking up. I dunno if I can wait until Keen Day to release it, so I'm gonna opt for the 'art exhibition' approach and churn it out WID™.

I might even be able to follow this 1LM up with a full-blown mod... it's amazing how much space is available even when you're trying to fill the tileset to the brim.
grelphy wrote:I envision many huge (like 150x150, which I've done and which is really really big) levels
Isn't there a limit of 117x117 or something? Or was that more to do with KeenWright than the actual games...?
Sir Bloog wrote:Ok count me in, I'll suprise you with my first ever mod:)
Sounds good™. Btw, your location reads "Fribbius Xax"... is it meant to read "Fribbulus Xax"? =(:,)-

~o~

About 120 tiles to go and my tileset will be full... then I move onto manufacturing some brand spanking new enemies.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Whoaly garg!!! I couldn't even nearly fill my tileset for my previous mod, and you manage to fill it for single level mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you can make full long mod with this, then definitely do it! I am so much waiting for this!