My motivation is lost once again.. :\

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

My motivation is lost once again.. :\

Post by KeenRush »

Oh no.
As you know, I was ~week away from home. On the place I was, I was able to use computer and was quite often modding. I hadn't my files there, so I started a new mod. I thought that I leave it there and continue later. But the worst happened, I took the files with me.
Now I've lost my motivation on that green mod, as well as with this new one. I planned to make that green one first, which I still want to do, but because of two of these mods on computer I've lost my goal. I don't feel like doing any of these (and I would hard like to start a new mod instead). :(

Also, here one screenshot from the "new" mod (not the green one). This still has the old Keen sprite, since I haven't bothered to add my Keen sprite there. That shot is for showing tiles, I wouldn't make that kind of level. Only tiles I really like are the background blue tiles, and the walls with green neon, and the grid. Other stuff is pretty lame, and again, not-done. You would see a better graphics if I could, sorry. Also, that red pipe doesn't have black borders, since I wanted to try make background stuff without using black lining. (Failed.)

If I can't soon make any better stuff, I quit modding (and select loser's way).*

* [complain_mode]Sorry to say this in every other post, but one can't even think what kind of battle there is going in my mind all the time. And when I even think about the sprites.. {{[overflow]}}
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

why dont you just combine those 2 mods?I also don't understand that having 2 mods makes you lose your motivation. That screenshot looks pretty good you only need sprites.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

why dont you just combine those 2 mods?
NO, NO and NO.
I also don't understand that having 2 mods makes you lose your motivation.
Don't ask me; I just kinda realized that 'Are my creations this lame?' when I have two mods that I had been working lately. I should haven't started that other one, it ruined all. :(
That screenshot looks pretty good you only need sprites.
* bites tonque *
Ouch. Yes, I need sprites. I know, they made me stop my previous mod (the one before green one). And mods before that, as well.
And, no matter how someone says it looks good (thanks, by the way), since I feel myself that isn't good, I can only feel garged. Grrg, I don't know enough words. I should read a dictionary. >:{}
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

NO, NO and NO.
why why why
Yes, I need sprites. I know, they made me stop my previous mod (the one before green one). And mods before that, as well.
Then make sprites Dammit!!! it's because you have no sprites you think it sux. image keen 1-3 without sprites that would be very boring too! but that doesnt mean the rest is boring. I know it's very diffycult to make-up and make sprites but quitting is not the solution unless you want to stop keenmodding completely! so the next thing you do is make sprites and if you cant wait untill you can but starting another mod doesnt make any sense because you will face the same problem.

and if you do quit send the tiles to someone so he/she can finish it.
XkyRauh

re: mods

Post by XkyRauh »

*grins* KeenRush, you design tiles the way I do sprites. Whenever you put together sprites, you say to yourself "that doesn't look right..." and I say the same thing when I'm putting together tiles. To be honest, I'd play that level you had--I thought it looks great. I'm envious of how fast you can put together new tiles!

--Xky
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

maybe you should work together keenrush makes tiles xky makes sprites
XkyRauh

re: working together

Post by XkyRauh »

That's more or less what the CKCM is for... :-) it's a community grab-bag. I just haven't put anything in there because I'm working on my own stuff.

That's off-topic, though. KeenRush, I know you're having a bad day and all, but don't delete anything. Keep it. :-) At the very least, release a level pack or something. Sprites aren't everything. Your level design has always been spectacular, in my opinion.

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Then make sprites Dammit!!! it's because you have no sprites you think it sux. image keen 1-3 without sprites that would be very boring too! but that doesnt mean the rest is boring. I know it's very diffycult to make-up and make sprites but quitting is not the solution unless you want to stop keenmodding completely! so the next thing you do is make sprites and if you cant wait untill you can but starting another mod doesnt make any sense because you will face the same problem.
Yes, you're correct. That problem waits there. But I can't make the sprites gargit! That's what I've been talking about all the time; I can't draw, and if I get something drawn, I don't like it at all (that my Keen sprite is exception, but hey, I had been working on it a lot time).
And to say; I don't want to make a level pack, I want to make a mod, and mod is nothing without new sprites. Also, I don't want anyone's help with them, I wan't (or would like) to make them on my own.
*grins* KeenRush, you design tiles the way I do sprites. Whenever you put together sprites, you say to yourself "that doesn't look right..." and I say the same thing when I'm putting together tiles.
Well, I say that to myself when I'm making tiles as well.
That's off-topic, though. KeenRush, I know you're having a bad day and all, but don't delete anything. Keep it. :-) At the very least, release a level pack or something. Sprites aren't everything. Your level design has always been spectacular, in my opinion.
Well, if this is a bad day, then I've had these all my life. :) But, I've learned my lesson on that deleting thing, quite well.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

KeenRush, when I see your tiles I lose my motivation, there's just no point trying to compete with that.
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

Is that why you don't try?? ;)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks, and that's also on thing; I don't like to compete. I hate competing, and it's annoying when you know your (I'm not talking about you) work is nothing compared to the level the best Keen modders do.
XkyRauh

re: competition

Post by XkyRauh »

The only "competition" we have is the PCKF Keen Awards every year... and those don't mean a thing. Seriously. When you make a mod, it should be for YOU... and everyone else is an afterthought. That's what XkyKeen1 was. It was me saying "Here's what I think a new Keen game would be like..." and then I shared that with you guys. XkyKeen2 was a little more commercial, (i.e. I designed it more with the public in mind,) but it was still made mostly for MY enjoyment. No way am I gonna spend hours and hours on one of these things if I don't find it fun! Screw competition.

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

The only "competition" we have is the PCKF Keen Awards every year... and those don't mean a thing.
Well, it's easy for you to say that because you win them anyway. :P
Seriously. When you make a mod, it should be for YOU... and everyone else is an afterthought.
Yes, I know, and that's what I try. But the problem is that I'm not easily pleased with my own work. (I'm seriously thinking that maybe I really have some syndrome.)

But with that competition.. I would also like that others like my work, and because, as you know, I've been eager to test and play every mod, and noticed what most people think is crap, ok, good, very good, excellent etc.. That causes that I'm constantly thinking that 'they won't like it', and that affects to my own opinion, etc.. Afterall, this is really a hard loop to break out from.. The main reason to all this is the sprites. *sigh*
Also, it's constantly in my mind that other people have accomplished so much, and I've released only one mod, and all my better projects and stuff is unreleased or deleted or frozen.

Anyways. Sprites mostly cause me to get frustrated, and that way start to hate the mod I'm working on. That, combined with my already hopeless self esteem, and other stuff (that 'competing' etc. stuff), only makes it worse.

And so, I can't probably ever get anything mod done ever again, and I feel sorry and bad because of that, probably rest of my life. I understand very well those artists that struggle through their life, constantly having something in mind they would like to create, but they can't -- or that viciously destroy their work because it isn't perfect, or what they would like it to be.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I think I've quit about 5 mods along the way, but usual I do it when I've made anywhere from 1 - 15 tiles and max of 1 sprite.

With all your quit projects, I see potential mods that rank among the best I've seen.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Oh, its not teh competition that gets me, its the supreme superiority of the work. When I see a new mod I see so much that I want to try I sometimes erase entire tilesets.