Shmaynoria 2 Help Thread

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Paramultart

Shmaynoria 2 Help Thread

Post by Paramultart »

Alright, so development officially started on this mod about 2 months ago in mid December, 2011. VikingBoyBilly has been a gigantic help, and for that I am grateful. I am very happy with the way this mod is turning out, and I think it will be a big surprise to everyone, and an overall enjoyable experience.

We've made a lot of progress, however, we've hit a lot of obstacles along the way.
Right now, the biggest impediment is an error we've been getting whenever we try to play one of the water levels, that says "RF_PlaceSprite: Placed an uncached sprite:416". Sprite #416 is a bubble sprite, by the way.

So far, no one in the Keen IRC has been available to help us, so I thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone had any solutions.

I will also be using this thread for other questions as we encounter problems in the future.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: The engine we're using is Keen 4, obviously.

- Ryan
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

First thing that comes to mind is make sure you're using the scuba Keen sprite and not the standard Keen sprite.

Additionally, and I'm not sure about this, but I seem to recall it as a necessity for the Dopefish to be in water levels.
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

Thank you so much, Ceilick.
Lemm offered this solution earlier in the IRC, but I confused the level with a duplicate, which I didn't notice, so naturally it didn't work when I tested (the wrong) level.
It works now, so great!
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

Another thing I would like help with is a patch to change the background color for the F1 (help) menu. I couldn't seem to find one on the Keen Wiki or in LL's patch archive.

I want the F1 (help) menu to be bright cyan.

I am also wondering if there's a way to completely get rid of Paddle War, and possibly even replace that menu entry with another route to the help menu.
levellass

Post by levellass »

For that last point, yes. (Wait, you want ME to patch it? Not till I get levels buddy!)

By the 'F1 menu' I take it you mean the first help screen, with the menu for various sections. This is the 'computer wrist' section. If so this patch should work for you:

Code: Select all

#Help screen colors: (Useful)
%patch $98F5 $0004W #Color dark red used for screen background
%patch $98F9 $00C8W #200x...
%patch $98FD $0140W #320...
%patch $99F8 $0004W #Color used behind help pointer

Basically the computerwrist has a 320x200 dark red square behind it. The help pointer also places a color behind it. Other patches are at: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:Computer_Wrist
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

Thanks Lass, but don't worry about making any patches. Lemm already finished all the menu patches last night. :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

So I see, he could have labelled them a little better though.
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

I am, however, having trouble understanding your Keen story text editor.
I understand how to change all texts except for the help texts.

Update: This mod is progressing extremely fast. I'd say we're near the halfway mark, if not past it.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, it's only a beta.

The 'help texts' I guess you mean the computerwrist texts such as the game story, are exported by modkeen and keengraph as text files which you can then edit and import.

Halfway huh? I'm hoping this will actually get completed before you lose interest.