ModKeen error?

ModKeen mods Tiles and Sprites in all episodes of Commander Keen.
Eros

ModKeen error?

Post by Eros »

hey, Eros here.

whenever i open modkeen and type "modkeen -episode=6 -import" and then whatever, it displays "ERROR: .\KEEN6.EXE must be version 1.4, and must be uncompressed!"

from what i know, you have to use unlzexe to uncompress, and none of the 3 K6 versions have given any work.

i've tried adding an olz file, i've tried getting rid of it and having an exenew file, nothing is working, help plox?
lemm

Post by lemm »

The exe file from Dead in the Desert doesn't work?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Does Keengraph export the graphics? If not then we have a very interesting case.
Eros

Post by Eros »

well, i haven't used keengraph, and i may or may not have tried the DitD exe. i'll try that now.

after trying the DitD exe, i got the phrase: "ERROR: Can't open bitmap file .\6FON0000.bmp!"

and i have no idea what that is.

>.<
lemm

Post by lemm »

First export all the graphics using the default .CK6 files and the Keen6 executable from Dead int he Desert.

That will output all of the graphics/game data that you can modify. (6FON0000.bmp is a font.)
levellass

Post by levellass »

The thing is, Keengraph is usually more informative about what's going wrong, as it is there are several things that could be the problem here. It can open most EGAGRAPH files for most games, so is more robust too.

Keengraph is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/KEENGRAPH.zip
Eros

Post by Eros »

so i think i've gotten the right parts typed in
modkeen -episode=6 -export -bmpdir="g:\HAYRO"
and, it says the following:
ERROR: Not enough memory to decompress EGAGRAPH chunk 3 (size 2F06D7F6 at DEE!)

i expect this is due to memory shortage in my USB, but i can't be sure...

i've even attempted to use my D drive, which contains about 25 free GBs of space, but is apparently still not enough to decompress it. the same message was given.
Draik

Post by Draik »

I get baffled at the number of people who manage to confuse memory and hard disk space, especially since there's no real ambiguity.

The issue is still a mystery to me, however. My only advice is to grab either KeenGraph or LModKeen, which should work around whatever issues may arise from running a 16-bit tool such as ModKeen on a modern operating system.