Inventory and Status Screen Layout Thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

Inventory and Status Screen Layout Thread

Post by lemm »

First, I would like to confirm if there will be any more inventory items besides points, keys, cola, pepper, goggles, and firefly.

The collect X transport items to get to the secret level I suggested earlier is still in?

Should there be collect 100 to 1-up items, as well as instant 1/2/3-up items? Should there be ankhs, super jump pills, other simple goodies that anyone can think of that would enhance gameplay?

I am thinking that if there are separate life-up items, then the score doesn't have to count towards life-up. Score is only added if you DONE a level, but-life ups and fractional life-ups are always added. What do you think?

Second, what should the inventory screen look like? The rectangle will still enlarge from the center, will still have the same border characters, and will contain text on light background, but it can be any size and have any content to set it apart from other mods. If there is a new font, how can that be used in the status screen? There can also be static sprites, bitmaps, and tiles, just like in normal keen.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Score is only added if you DONE a level, but-life ups and fractional life-ups are always added. What do you think?
Interesting thought. I definitely want the score detached from lives. I'm undecided about whether to attach a seperate life item, as it perpetuates the Goldilocks 1UP situation. On my own terms, I would prefer to go with infinite lives, but since we intend to fit this into the official canon a lives setup is probably a requirement. So I guess that pretty much makes the decision.
The collect X transport items to get to the secret level I suggested earlier is still in?
Yep. The question is: one item per level carefully hidden, or many items scattered throughout the game? The former seems best to me given the fractional life-up feature.
First, I would like to confirm if there will be any more inventory items besides points, keys, cola, pepper, goggles, and firefly.
I think there will need to be another item or two. Somebody prod me with something sharp next week so I go through the level structure and make sure everything checks out. Then I'll be able to answer this more confidently.

At this stage I don't have anything specific in mind as to the inventory screen. Add that to the sharp item prodding list.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I'll put a stage score and total score fields in the game; if level is finished, stage score is added to total.

Bonus points if you want to create an skeleton image using Dr. Kylsteins new 1FON0000.BMP and put the character codes in a table.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

@one item per level: can't be in the last level as well, unless when you collect the item in a stage and then die you still have that item.
(And what is the item? Lemm said they were gleebs which powered the boat, but I don't know what a gleeb is.)
Draik

Post by Draik »

Deltamatic wrote:I don't know what a gleeb is
Well, you shouldn't fire them all in the first ten nooms.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

lemm wrote:Bonus points if you want to create an skeleton image using Dr. Kylsteins new 1FON0000.BMP and put the character codes in a table.
I'd just like to point out that the file in question is from a different mod with a different palette, and is just meant to be another sample font. Anything in that folder is going to need a little work before being used.
lemm

Post by lemm »

/me prods Spleen with a sharp item

I could also add a continue feature for when the player runs out of lives.. if continue, score is zeroed. if not, then game is over and score is checked against high scores.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

lemm wrote:I could also add a continue feature for when the player runs out of lives.. if continue, score is zeroed. if not, then game is over and score is checked against high scores.
Twould be awesome.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Small update w.r.t inventory, scores, and what not. After IRC chats, this is what the structure of the score screen will look like. Font still needs some working out.

Total score: updated once you finish the level (i.e. a flag pops up on the map). Score does not increase lives.

Stage name and score: stage name is max 14 chars. Stage score is added to to total on level finish.

Tophat = Gleeb counter (still need some sort of art for this thing; and maybe another name too?)
Blue Flask = 1/100 life ups (should this be lifewater?)
asterisk = ammo, cross = health

Items:
chili, cola, goggles, firefly, and a fifth unnamed item (any ideas?)
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I can fix up that font for you. I had just intended the files I uploaded to be samples so that we could decide what to use before making the final. So just tell me what you want and I can make a proper font sheet.

Edit: I thought that dark red had been replaced?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Maybe I can improve the icons artwise?

The menu looks great, Lemm :)
lemm

Post by lemm »

Design and icons are all Spleen's.

DrKylstein: Spleen said there should be a more "natural" looking font. Yes, dark red is gone.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

More natural border and colour scheme at any rate. The square font looks good. Except for the M, which I modified to be more symmetrical.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

The fifth item could be some (secret?) valuable thing that's in there as a bragging rights reward. There could be one in each episode.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

You'll have to define "more natural." All I think of is wood grain. :-)