Main Menu

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

Main Menu

Post by lemm »

Need to make final list of main menu options. (No finale discussion in this thread)

Already implemented + suggestions
Apogee Intro
Begin game
Restore Game
Story
High Scores
Credits
Making-Of
Restart Demo

F1 thru F5 menus will be unchanged, with the exception of the keyboard configuration to accomodate 4 buttons

Story
Should there be a cutscence? Something like...
fade
preview screen 1 (keen receives message)
fade
preview screen 2 (keen board bwb)
fade
(camera in outer space) BWB sprite from keen1 flies to Gnosticus
fade
(camera in slug village type terrain) keen walks across, and off screen
Story Text Scroller Pops up.

High Scores
What is going in here besides Name and Points? I plan on keeping this just one screen like in keen1, but I need to know the content of the third column.

Credits + Making Of
Should this be one or two menu options? There can be a text scroller as well for a little essay about the making of.

Even if all the exacting details are not finished, I need a sketch of what all the categories should look like. If there are any more other ideas, list them.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

I like the idea for the story, it would be snazzier than a plain piece of text.
No idea what the third column for high scores should be. What could fit in there?
I'd like credits and making of to be separate, so we can put more detail into each.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Story
A cut scene with scrolltext sounds like fun. Some text to help describe each scene would be helpful if it can be done. The scrolltext can just tie everything together in a Galaxy style blurb.

High Scores
Don't think there's anything that really belongs there. I'd be inclined to leave it blank unless we come up with some pretty classy bonus item idea

Credits
Just a scrolling credits list would be best, I think. A making-of would be too epic to fit in-game. Another window akin to About ID could be used as a description of the project and the basics of how it was undertaken.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Okay then:

Begin Game: unchanged
Restore Game: unchanged
Story: cinematic sequence to be defined later, then text scroller window.
High Scores: same as keen1, except the parts will be removed
Credits: Text scroller window.

I forgot about the sliding Apogee, it can be fancified. If the C, K, C, and M letters are separate sprites, they can fly in diagonally. Or the top half of CKCM can scroll in from the top, and the other half from the bottom. Any sort of sliding pattern using any number of sprites is doable, and the background doesn't have to be black if they are sprites.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

Could there be a sound and an animation when they meet? I'm thinking a flare of light and crashing noise.
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

^Agrees with above post.^
lemm

Post by lemm »

That can be done.
levellass

Post by levellass »

At the end of this Lemm, you're going to have to split the CKCM patchfile into its individual parts so others can use it.
lemm

Post by lemm »

The source in C is there for anyone who wants it; I can write a little blurb on how to compile/assemble stuffs.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, but individual patches, for the patch wiki and such.
lemm

Post by lemm »

The only patches that would be of use with those in the patch index are in the multiple tileset package i posted a few weeks ago. None of the game logic stuff will work.
levellass

Post by levellass »

So all this menu stuff and such is as it were, unalterable? It's all interdependent?
lemm

Post by lemm »

pretty much that