Boot Hill

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
CommanderSpleen

Boot Hill

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Since the map thread is getting derailed by discussing the Boot Hill cemetery level, here's a fresh place to continue its development.
Spleen wrote:I agree that the funeral invitation concept isn't terribly Keenish, though IMKO it's more Keenish than the book of spirits. It needs to be something light-hearted and zany...
Deltamatic wrote:The invitation to the funeral thing wasn't a fetch quest, but a reason for why the boot people would be attacking you. They don't want you in their invitation-only funeral. The cemetery wouldn't have undead or anything, it would just be another cemetery.
doomjedi wrote:Ok, I'll see what I can do about the Boot People. Maybe make them jump on Boot Diskettes or look like ones :) Just for fun
...oh. sorry - those are the ReBoot People :)

Maybe Boot People will fight the ReBoot people :)
Spleen wrote:The boot disk pun is awesome. Maybe we can have some tomb stones that look like old floppy disks.

In fact, the whole point of the level could be to activate an ancient mainframe.
doomjedi wrote:Boot people and their natural enemy - the ReBoot People (Damn I'm having fun) :)

doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Some art feedback on the boot can help too - that was just a first draft :)
Grimson

Post by Grimson »

If the blue one is supposed to be a member of the ReBoot people, then I think it should be more clear that it looks like a floppy disk. Also, IMO the boot itself should be shorter and higher, kind of like a Goomba's Shoe
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Grimson wrote:If the blue one is supposed to be a member of the ReBoot people
Probably...
, then I think it should be more clear that it looks like a floppy disk
In general, I agree...and there is probably some things that can be done here.
But if he'll hold the shoe like the Boot People - it'll look unBootDisky still.
So can I make him not hold the shoe?
Also, IMO the boot itself should be shorter and higher, kind of like a Goomba's Shoe
Indeed, a valid suggestion.
lemm

Boot Camp

Post by lemm »

doomjedi wrote:Some art feedback on the boot can help too - that was just a first draft :)
if its possible I think the boot should be twice as big with a bigger tongue and a larger curvier toe.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Grimson wrote:Also, IMO the boot itself should be shorter and higher, kind of like a Goomba's Shoe
Something like that? :) (Boot People - Version 2)

Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

Blast! Didn't get to this topic before I posted back in the map topic. Here's my post copy/pasted:
The reboot people are made of win. The activate an ancient mainframe goal and the get a minefield map goal can be combined: activate an ancient mainframe which will print out a minefield map when activated.

We should put all sorts of warning signs in front of the mine field to make sure the player gets the point, since it's so rare to die on the world map.
We should put names of old computing systems on the tombstones in SGA, like Commodore 64, PDP-11, and Amiga 1000.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Great idea! The associated logos would be neat.
Grimson

Post by Grimson »

doomjedi wrote:
Grimson wrote:Also, IMO the boot itself should be shorter and higher, kind of like a Goomba's Shoe
Something like that? :) (Boot People - Version 2)

The boot is definitely better this way. I still need to ask, is the shape of the yellow creature random or is it supposed to remind something? It's very unorthodox, nontheless :S
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Grimson wrote:I still need to ask, is the shape of the yellow creature random or is it supposed to remind something? It's very unorthodox, nontheless :S
Well, noone so far defined how this creature should look, so I just invented one... I made it not having any creature in partucular in mind. It does in a way remind a silkworm, but not intended.
The two creatures by their color palette remind Slugs vs Licks, I can notice that too...but that not intended either. As an artist - blue color for the "diskette" was just reminded by some of my older diskettes (simple black or grey looked a bit dull (especially when using "Keen-style" black outline for objects), yet most of the diskettes were more darker than lighter). The "slug"-colored creature color I chose to make a good use of the "new" "cool" orange color we have in our mod, and yellow just fit's good with it, as the second shade. The "upper eye" was made to make it more unique-looking and also to have a bodypart that can "jump" up upon "boot-jumping" - making a nice animation, like the "eye-bouncing" dudes.

What is the "problem" with it?
Well...rotating it 90 degree I might see what you could mean, but that was not intended either.
is it supposed to remind something?
No, I didn't mean it to remind anything (it was "Random" - in your terms), unless subconsiously the situation was otherwise.

Anyway, I don't mind inventing a new one if this one doesn't fit.
Maybe if you'd give me a more "detailed" vision of it I can make it more to your "liking".
Last edited by doomjedi on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I think the computer jokes are a bit over the top. I know we've probably got a lot of classic computer enthusiasts here (myself included), but it seems too esoteric for Keen. Maybe there can be one computer joke on a tombstone but the re-boot people are rather much.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

I like the boot aliens, they're original and visually interesting.
And there are several people who want the computer jokes, but only one person who doesn't want them. Because of this I think the computer jokes should stay.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Yes, I'm for computer jokes too
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that this seems to be turning into one massive Big-Lipped Alligator Moment for the game. Granted, it's not the only random idea in this game, but the isolation of this particular setting is what makes it stick out. Two different enemies that appear nowhere else and an ancient mainframe with no connection to the rest of the back-story. And we're justifying this with two consecutive puns? I think we should stop at boot hill = boot people and not stretch that into boot->reboot = computers and confuse people.
Grimson

Post by Grimson »

What is the "problem" with it?
Well...rotating it 90 degree I might see what you could mean, but that was not intended either.
It's not that, I find the upper eye redundant, it's like I'd imagine the head to be where the big bulb is. You are correct, it does look alien enough, however I can't really explain what I feel wrong with it.