The Plan

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
Deltamatic

The Plan

Post by Deltamatic »

What will be done first? Are we planning any steps beyond that yet? Should deadlines be set?
Last edited by Deltamatic on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mink

Post by Mink »

The first thing that needs to be done is the finalization of the story and map. Once that's done, we'll have some definite direction for tiles, enemies and levels.

I'm generally opposed to deadlines, though. While they may help us complete stuff faster, I think they generally tend to lead to a decrease in the quality of work.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I guess one thing that could be done is gathering up all the bits and pieces of graphics and putting them into one giant image... or one FTP folder or something.

That might help in planning some first steps?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Mink wrote:The first thing that needs to be done is the finalization of the story and map. Once that's done, we'll have some definite direction for tiles, enemies and levels.

I'm generally opposed to deadlines, though. While they may help us complete stuff faster, I think they generally tend to lead to a decrease in the quality of work.
Yes...Story is first. At least the main narrative...some details can be changed later. Art and Patches are derived from it.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Alright, looks like the storyline and map are taking shape. Let's figure out how to manage the graphics. Shall we use Dropbox as was suggested in another thread? It seems to be most suitable, except that it requires the installation of software to use it (and it doesn't seem to allow multiple boxes to be configured at once, so if you have one setup for yourself it's a tad annoying to switch to another one and back again depending on what you're doing).

What other alternatives might there be? Google Wave is a good possibility (using it for overall CKCM organisation hasn't worked so well), but it's likely to cut out some folks who don't feel like signing up for an account. Maybe we can just upload all the graphics to the Keen Wiki?
Mink

Post by Mink »

CommanderSpleen wrote:and it doesn't seem to allow multiple boxes to be configured at once, so if you have one setup for yourself it's a tad annoying to switch to another one and back again depending on what you're doing.
I don't quite get what you mean. I've got Dropbox set up on both of my computers, and it hasn't given me much trouble switching between them.

Anyway, I've just rounded up all the graphics and important texts from every thread in this forum (which took way, way longer than I expected, but was definitely worth it). I still think Dropbox is the way to go, so they're all organized in a Dropbox folder. Now, just go to https://www.dropbox.com/ , set up an account/download the software and then let me know the email address you signed up with so I can invite you to the folder.
CommanderSpleen

Ohh, I see! I didn't realise it worked on an invite basis like that. It gave me the impression it required a separate account for each shared folder.

I'm signed up via jimage at gmail.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Excellent, you should now have a message about joining the folder.

As long as more people sign up, this should be a pretty efficient method for organizing the files and whatnot.
CommanderSpleen

Dropbox is go! I suggest everyone grab an account. It is exactly what we need.

Do we have a volunteer to set something up on the Keen Wiki for the CKCM? For now it would need an introduction and a link to this forum, but will soon need to be expanded as we consolidate development phases.
Mink

Post by Mink »

I already set up the KeenWiki page several months ago: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Command ... munity_Mod Granted, it's pretty rudimentary and contains outdated information, but it is a start.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Made an account on Dropbox
Mink

Post by Mink »

doomjedi wrote:Made an account on Dropbox
Wonderful! What's your email address?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Mink

Post by Mink »

Okay, you should now have an invite in your email, Doomjedi. As should you, Tulip.

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed you guys joined a little while ago. Sign up, everyone else.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

OK, I'm at fleexy@mchsi.com. Could somebody please explain how I get files into/out of our community Dropbox?

~Fleexy~