Tileset Tool - The V2 Tileset Editor (Updated 2012-12-29)

Utilities to affect Keen:Vorticons tilesets.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Th entire patch in the patchfile with all the files set up and a level that shows some basic (1:1, 1:2, 1:3 2:1) slopes and animations, maybe color cycling.

This is not just so much for me, but for newer modders; I have had three modders so far give up on the old tileset tool because they couldn't figure out how things were supposed to work, and it usually involved minor issues that most of us assume everyone understands. (No, you have to import the tileset bitmap each time you change it, yes it's separate from the other graphics.)

Such demonstrations are invaluable, and give people a way of looking at a working project to compare with what they've done.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

levellass wrote: This is not just so much for me, but for newer modders; I have had three modders so far give up on the old tileset tool because they couldn't figure out how things were supposed to work...
Why doesn't anybody tell me these things? I want to know all about people's experiences with my software so that I can improve it.

I've expanded the patch download to include the mod I used for basic testing. The tileset is just a straight import from Keen 1 with a simple color cycle applied. I'll get back to you on slopes - I'm having trouble with them myself! :o
levellass

Post by levellass »

I know how you feel, people have left off using my stuff for the most trivial of reasons and not said a word.
Slayterdawg

Post by Slayterdawg »

I've been playing with the tilesettool and exported the bmp.
The dimension of the bmp change from 208 x 1120 to 16 x 14560 and makes it impossible to modify the bmp tileset. Is there a way to resave it as 208 x 1120 ?
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Slayterdawg wrote:I've been playing with the tilesettool and exported the bmp.
The dimension of the bmp change from 208 x 1120 to 16 x 14560 and makes it impossible to modify the bmp tileset. Is there a way to resave it as 208 x 1120 ?
I will add that to my to-do list. For now, if you choose "Export to external editor..." from the tools menu, it will give you a 208 wide image. The catch is that this represents the first frame of animation for each tile, rather than the actual graphics data.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

When I try to import my bmp tileset, all tiles show up as tile zero. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I read a few pages back that there's been a problem with animations causing this but I believe that bug's been fixed...
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

That's normal. The way the new tilesets work is that any tile can have any graphic assigned to it, via the animation editor. One benefit of this is that you don't have to include all the frames of an animated tile or the mask portion of a masked tile in the actual tiles, just in the graphics. If you want to do things the old-fashioned way, there's an option in the tools menu "auto-map tiles". An upcoming version will include some more convenience functions for mapping tiles.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Thanks. Now I can finally make progress with my tileset(s).
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Hate to doublepost, but how exactly do I set tiles to animate? I apply "Four Frame Cycle" to the first animation frame but I have no idea what to do next. Only the first tile will animate when placed ingame, the rest are stationary.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Once again, this is normal. Each tile has its own animation, so there's none of that strange linking that standard K:V likes to do. If you want to have all those variations, you'll have to set them up individually.
levellass

Post by levellass »

We may need a readme or tutorial covering these basic questions. Once again, when your lovely program goes out to real users, it's amazing what gets misunderstood.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Dr. Kylstein wrote:Once again, this is normal. Each tile has its own animation, so there's none of that strange linking that standard K:V likes to do. If you want to have all those variations, you'll have to set them up individually.
I know that but don't really understand how to do it... :(
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

For custom animations, you double-click on frames in the animation editor. What you may want to do is to apply the 4-frame cycle first, then just fix the frames that are off.

Edit: levellass: I'm working on it. I've re-written the built-in help around an overview of V2 and a FAQ. The next release will also be a "user-friendliness" update.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

New release!

Bad news: Undo/redo and paint-mode have been removed because they were very buggy. Good news: hotkeys work again.

Changes:
-Added hotkey for partial auto-mapping.
-Re-arranged menus by domain.
-Added status tips and more helpful labels. Added another FAQ.
-Re-wrote documentation.
-Made saving automatically add extension
-Separated importing TileInfo from opening, applied "Save Now?" more generally.
-Re-did menus, icons, and toolbars, made zoom visibly disable at extents.
-Fixed palette and animations marking modified for identical data.
-Moved zoom in/out directly into the menu, cleaned up zoom/wrap settings
-Removed undo/redo and paintmode, made modification tracking more sensible
-Added ability to set all frames at once by double-clicking in the tile view.
-Fixed hotkeys.
-Made export bitmap wrap to 13 tiles across.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Most excellent.