Tileset Tool - The V2 Tileset Editor (Updated 2012-12-29)

Utilities to affect Keen:Vorticons tilesets.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

There's a bug with 1.1. If you disable animation on a tile, it shows up as tile zero in-game.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

That shouldn't even be possible for the old system. You must have a patch that's corrupting the animation array.
CommanderSpleen

Nope, I just took out everything except the tileinfo patch and the symptom persists.

Found the problem: the program is setting the animation property to zero when disabling animation, where the game expects 1 for a single-frame animation. The zero setting makes it just draw the first tile in the tileset.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Oh. I didn't know that wasn't the way it worked.

Edit:
try this. I'm going to try to make 0.1.x obsolete as soon as I can. That codebase is becoming foreign to me!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Tileinfo has the same problem when you try to make a new tileinfo, all the animations are set to 0, which ruins the tileset.
CommanderSpleen

So I'm finally using the new version with the Vorticons Extended patch, and have a feature request.

It's overly complicated to set an animation sequence in a way that you can use any of its tiles as the starting tile (i.e. to reduce repetition as is often done with backgrounds).

Well, it's not terribly complicated to apply it to one... but if you have, for example, a heap of four-tile animations that need 0,1,2,3 / 0,1,2,-1 / 0,1,-2,-1 / 0,-3,-2,-1 as their animation properties, this is tiresome. And then oscillations... :000

At the very least a way to copy/paste animation would be pretty coolgut. An option to apply the full set at once > all
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Have you tried the shift and rotate buttons? They aren't very intuitive, but they were meant as a stop-gap for this sort of thing. Shift subtracts one from the frame indexes, and rotate moves the first frame to the last and the other frames move over accordingly. (I hope I remembered that right. The new animation editor was supposed to have replaced it already. x[ )
CommanderSpleen

Ohh, I see. That's probably effective enough.

Haven't heard about the animation editor. Who's making that?
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I am, it's a new feature of Tileset Tool. I had intended all along for animation editing to be done graphically. I had announced it and some other new features on IRC a while ago, but progress has been derailed by one or more very complex bugs.
CommanderSpleen

Also, did I do something weird or is every tile set to Masking behaviour by default instead of Does Nothing?
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

That was a bug a while ago. It should be fixed in the last version I released.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Bump!

I haven't left for good, I just ran out of steam for a while. I've just uploaded the latest experimental version to github. It has major changes from the last release, but it may be quite buggy. I would appreciate it if somebody would build it and let me know if it's not hopelessly broken! It's also officially open source now, so hopefully it will be less dependent on my continued interest in the future. (No I'm not leaving yet, don't worry!)
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I've finally gotten around to cross-compiling some copies of the git version. It includes support for a new version of the palette patch with per-tileset palettes and color-cycling in addition to the fading and custom darkness from my earlier version. You can find the new patch here.

Cross-compiling has gotten better since the last release, but it's still a pain to setup. >:(
levellass

Post by levellass »

Is there any chance we could get a 1 level mod setup for this latest version of the tileset? Just something to show us what to do, what's possible and why our particular setup isn't working? It would be greatly appreciated.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

What's not working for you? I had hoped to have my mod completed as the tech demo, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. What would you need in a demo mod?