Tileset Tool - The V2 Tileset Editor (Updated 2012-12-29)

Utilities to affect Keen:Vorticons tilesets.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Grr. It needs some work in the case sensitivity department. It looks for *.bmp and *.EXE.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

CommanderSpleen wrote:Grr. It needs some work in the case sensitivity department. It looks for *.bmp and *.EXE.
Try this.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Here's a prototype editor for lemm's tileset format:
-Linux x86-32, x86-64
-Windows x86-32

It supports lemm's format exclusively, but it can import .tli files to upgrade. The interface is a bit raw, so you'll have to work out the slope values yourselves. The animation frame values indicate an offset: -1 would be the previous tile and 1 is the next tile. This probably doesn't suit what lemm had in mind for the animations, but it's easier for the time being. The next version will have a graphical picker and avoid all the confusion.

This version has a few extra features over the regular version:
-you can choose how many tiles wide the tileset appears in the viewer, as well as the scale.
-the first frame of animation for each tile is shown in the tileset viewer.
-arrows in the tileset viewer indicate which collision properties are set. They don't distinguish slopes though.

I plan to release one more lemm-format-only version with new slope and animation controls. The next release after that should support both formats.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Sounds awesome to me. I think the pre-lemm format is going to die out soon anyway...
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

levellass wrote:pre-lemm format
Pretty soon we're gonna be referring to the "eras" of modding: the Pre-Lemm era and the Lemmian era.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Sweet! Thanks for making this.

Also, the tile type plane in the tileinfo is just one byte per tile now, instead of one word per tile.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I'll release a new version right away with that fixed, but could you point me to the latest version of the patch and some tilesets for testing? I'm still working with the first package you sent me, which had the 16bit plane.
lemm

Post by lemm »

It's all in the CKCM dropbox folder under the testmod directory. The format of the .tls is unchanged except for that the tile type is now one byte.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Pretty soon we're gonna be referring to the "eras" of modding: the Pre-Lemm era and the Lemmian era.
I say we call it the Lemurian era.

I have Keengraph compatible with the new format. (I hope.) It only exports as Dr K's utility auto-imports the bitmaps when a tileset is saved.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Okay, I've updated those files for the latest revision of the format. I've added a dialog to change the number of frames. It's under File->Properties.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Cool!

linux x86_64 is working for me!
gerstrong

Post by gerstrong »

lemm wrote:Whoa, nice!

I am making a patch right now which would allow 910 (sloped) tiles and (maybe) up to 8 animation frames per tileset in Keen1; if you want to make it support that I would be grateful.
Hey I think CG already can do that. Not sure, never tested it, but I never meant to limit it to 4 frames animation. You also can use bigger tilesets now, up to size of 60000 tiles, I think
levellass

Post by levellass »

What this really, really needs is a copy\paste functionality for tiles, like in CK456tli, which saves a lot of 'YES, make all four sides blocking on this tile too...' pointless clicking., especially if you have 910 tiles...
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

levellass wrote:What this really, really needs is a copy\paste functionality for tiles, like in CK456tli, which saves a lot of 'YES, make all four sides blocking on this tile too...' pointless clicking., especially if you have 910 tiles...
I don't know how to implement copy and paste yet, but I have added hotkeys similar to Commander Spleen's TilePhile in the latest version. Select "Hotkeys..." from the help menu to see the full list.

Also in the new version:
- a graphical slope editor so that you don't have to calculate the values yourself.
- The program will now remember the last directory you used and the position and configuration of the program window.
- The tile editor pane is a movable dock
- the collision properties have been split into multiple fields. Hopefully this makes some operations simpler.
- Palettes are no longer automatically corrected for 4 or 8 bit images. If the tileset does not display the right colors in-game or after re-opening, re-import and try "Fix Palette" under the edit menu! This change was needed for basic support of the palette patch.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Alright, an update. Sadly this one doesn't work, it crashes right away.

I'm using vista, german sadly so the exact error message probably won't help you, it says something about the QtCore4.dll about the line _Z21qRegisterResourceDataiPKhS0_S0_

I hope that helps.