Tileset Tool - The V2 Tileset Editor (Updated 2012-12-29)

Utilities to affect Keen:Vorticons tilesets.
Dr. Kylstein

Tileset Tool - The V2 Tileset Editor (Updated 2012-12-29)

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

This is an editor for the tileset files used in lemm's V2 tileset patch for Vorticons.

Download latest version: (2012-12-29)
-Linux
-32-bit Linux
-Windows
-Source

Previous version: (2012-11-25)
-https://github.com/DrKylstein/Tileset-Tool/downloads
Last edited by Dr. Kylstein on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 13 times in total.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Whoa, nice!

I am making a patch right now which would allow 910 (sloped) tiles and (maybe) up to 8 animation frames per tileset in Keen1; if you want to make it support that I would be grateful.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Will do. It probably won't be in the first release though. Do you have a spec or do I need to track down all your and levellass's posts on it?
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Nice. I started a level editor in Qt once, but couldn't get my head around it. So I stuck with Allegro, doing the interface from scratch. This utility is an excellent addition to the Keen modding tools.

I can compile for 32-bit Linux and Windows.
lemm

Post by lemm »

http://rapidshare.com/files/327996853/Demo.zip.html

Well here is a demo... patch is still very messy and incompletely documented but I will fix that very soon.

It works in dosbox v0.73 for me.

(btw: files.commanderkeen.org is down)
Draik

Post by Draik »

http://aninjaisyou.co.cc/stuff/Demo.zip

Saving you from the horrors of RapidShare.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Here is a Linux x86 binary.

Just tested it out, and this really is a nice and responsive program. Haven't been able to locate the code for the editing stuff on the right yet, but when I do I'll see about implementing shortcut keys.

Case-sensitivity is an issue though. What does it search for exactly? This is something we'll need to figure out for Linux ports of Keen utilities in general.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Looks cool -- it's good we'll have some alternatives to the olde TileInfo.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

CommanderSpleen wrote:Case-sensitivity is an issue though. What does it search for exactly? This is something we'll need to figure out for Linux ports of Keen utilities in general.
What specifically is causing problems?
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I finally got Qt setup on my Windows PC, and Dropbox solved the hosting problem. The first post has been updated with 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Linux versions.

The current development version (unreleased) supports lemm's patch natively and can import/upgrade data from the classic format. It can't yet export properly to the original format though, and the interface needs to be cleaned up. If anybody is working on something with the patch and wants to try it out anyway, let me know and I can send you a snapshot (let me know what OS you're using).
levellass

Post by levellass »

So, can it create functioning tilesets from bitmaps? Because that would lessen my workload immensely. (Extraction is a breeze.)
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

levellass wrote:So, can it create functioning tilesets from bitmaps? Because that would lessen my workload immensely. (Extraction is a breeze.)
If you're talking about the unreleased version, yes. It creates the entire TLS file, EGA planes and all.

To anyone who has downloaded the Windows version, it wasn't built correctly the first time, and the required DLLs were missing. I've re-uploaded a working version at the same location.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Excellent. Then I shall remove TLS functionality from KeenGraph. (Oh yes, are you planning to make it export to bitmaps as well? Just to be complete.)

I must also ask you if I can bundle your utility with KeenGraph, to complement what it does, since it will also be a graphics editor, of a kind.
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

levellass wrote:Excellent. Then I shall remove TLS functionality from KeenGraph. (Oh yes, are you planning to make it export to bitmaps as well? Just to be complete.)
Yes, it does have an "export bitmap" option. I should probably test that for compatibility with KeenGraph once I have complete functionality. I was thinking about supporting EGALATCH insertion directly, but I'm not sure about that.
levellass wrote:I must also ask you if I can bundle your utility with KeenGraph, to complement what it does, since it will also be a graphics editor, of a kind.
I think there might be complications with that. First, which version would you bundle? All of them? One bundle for each platform? Second, there could be issues keeping up-to-date. I do like the idea of keeping all of the tileset-patch compatible utilities in one place though.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I should probably test that for compatibility with KeenGraph once I have complete functionality.
Keengraph uses the Modkeen format for tiles and I'm thinking of allowing it to handle almost any other bitmap format for them as well.
First, which version would you bundle? All of them?
KeenGraph is a DOS/windows based application, though I am told it can be made to run under Linux, in the same manner as Keen. I would thus include the Windows version, with instructions and information about where to obtain other versions, say a link to your website.
Second, there could be issues keeping up-to-date
There have officially been 13 updates of Keengraph 2.x since I first uploaded it. I like to include small bug fixes or new features. Every time your tool is updated I would quickly add the new version to KeenGraph. I'm not sure how effective this would be, but I think it should be fair.