The vertical dimension

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

The vertical dimension

Post by lemm »

We have a lot of nice outdoor elements so far, but the levels are going to be very flat unless land is floating in the sky or connected to the borders. (or it is given rocket boosters).

Here are a couple obvious ideas...

1. Stone hovels + wooden hovels + transporter patch = indoor tiles! (I believe using the transporter in the doors was already proposed?) Using the transporter was proposed somewhere else) A stone, wooden, pyramid brick, underground dirt, mines, etc.

2. The cliffs (the light brown/brown dirt) can be jump from underneath Mario style, e.g. "Dead in the Desert" the Red Mountain level. Level designers can pack more level into less space this way while staying above ground.

Jump from beneath cliffs

3. Low hanging keen 3 clouds, jump from beneath?
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Aye. Trying to start a simple village level proved rather uninspiring. Some vertical elements would be excellent. I'll play around with some tiles to allow something like the above screenshot.

Bridges between these hills is doable as well. Clouds can be done pretty easily, though I wouldn't want to rely on them too heavily as a core element, rather as access to bonus points.

I'm with you on the teleporters. Interior areas will add a tasty extra dimension.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I suggest looking through Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure levels (Cosedit is good.) The purple topped brown tiles are used in an extensive manner with minimal tiles.