Which tiles in animation?

Utilities to affect Keen:Vorticons tilesets.
ckguy

Which tiles in animation?

Post by ckguy »

When I set tiles to be ... say ... 4-tile-length animating, how can I tell which tiles will animate. I mean, what is the algorithm Keen uses to decide which ones it will animate among?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, I've wondered that thing too..
Just select some tile, and select the same properties and four animation frames for it and for the next three tiles after it. Also, the tiles in animation can not be masked.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

The way the actual animations are determined is like this: the program goes through all the tiles in order; if it discovers a tile with the "2 frames" (or "4 frames") property set, then that tile and the following tile (or following three tiles) are an animation, regardless of the setting of the following tiles' animation property.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Ooh... I'm getting all sorts of ideas about strange new effects using some tiles that aniumate and some that don't in one animation...

Speaking of which, is there any technicality stopping a masked animaiton aside from the tile animating to the mask?
ckguy

Thank you!

Post by ckguy »

Thanks for the help, andy! That had been bothering me for some time ...
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

grelphy wrote:Ooh... I'm getting all sorts of ideas about strange new effects using some tiles that aniumate and some that don't in one animation...
What do you mean? I don't see how you could use this ...
grelphy wrote:Speaking of which, is there any technicality stopping a masked animaiton aside from the tile animating to the mask?
I dunno. Try it.

Hmmph! Why is this text coming out small? Who knows?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, the animation's that simple. I thought it too "confusizedly". :)
Ooh... I'm getting all sorts of ideas about strange new effects using some tiles that aniumate and some that don't in one animation...
I think it probably would be better not to do stuff with that way.. I mean by the help of bugs..
Speaking of which, is there any technicality stopping a masked animaiton aside from the tile animating to the mask?
I really think that is unpossible (ok, impossible). :)
Hmmph! Why is this text coming out small? Who knows?
Browser settings??
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

A masked animation is certainly possible. A friend of mine gave me one which consists of a simple masked pattern; when Keen is behind it he goes red,green,red,green (The mask is coloured.)

If only one tile is set to animate, the tiles in front of it will animate, even though they are not given an animation property, when Keen runs it finds an animating tile then makes all those in front of it animate. (So no neat effects for you.)

Also Keen will apply the same properties to the tiles following an animated tile.
gerstrong

Post by gerstrong »

Can you extract tiles from version 1.34 of CK1?
levellass

Post by levellass »

No; the executable is not LZ compressed, so we can't decompress it. If this could be done, I could write a program to extract them, and tileinfo would edit them, but how would you patch them?