Editing the Loading Screen

Completed patches for Keen5.
Mink

Editing the Loading Screen

Post by Mink »

This patch lets you change the text in the top box (the title and copyright notice) on the loading screen (the one with the purple boxes) that appears as soon as you start the game. Here it is:

Code: Select all

# Replace the loading screen 
%patchfile $20D5C loading.ck5 

Then, put the following into a text file, and save it as loading.ck5:

Code: Select all

²²²²±±±°°°°  °°°°±±±²²²² Ûº] _ _ _ _ _ _C_o_m_m_a_n_d_e_r_ _K_e_e_n_ _i_n_._._._"_G_o_o_d_b_y_e_,_ _G_a_l_a_x_y_!_"_ _ _ _ _ _ ]º]  ²²²²±±±°°°°  °°°°±±±²²²² Ûº] ] _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ]E_p_i_s_o_d_e_ ]V_:_ _T_h_e_ _A_r_m_a_g_e_d_d_o_n_ _M_a_c_h_i_n_e_ _ _ _ ] ] ] ] ]º]  ²²²²±±±°°°°  °°°°±±±²²²² Ûº] ] _ _ _ ](]c])]1]9]9]2] ]I]d] ]S]o]f]t]w]a]r]e],] ]I]n]c].] ] ](]V]e]r]s]i]o]n] ]1].]4])] ] ] ] ] ]º]  ²²²²±±±°°°°  °°°°±±±²²²² 
All you have to do now is edit the readable text in your loading.ck5 file, and enjoy your new loading screen!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Don't say it, Shadow Master.
Napalm

Post by Napalm »

levellass

Post by levellass »

These are actually very useful topics now that we have a new tool for doing a formerly tricky bit of editing. (All we need now is something to change those 4-6 .bin files that contain stuff like the starting COMMANDER KEEN text.)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

LLa, there is a utility that can do that ... a while ago I started a thread about it, and worked out the file format based on the program's confusing source code.

(EDIT: LINK)

Hmm, I also recall promising to write a nicer, more robust, etc. importer/exporter, but that hasn't really happened ...

I suppose we could always badger Shadow Master to include it in EModKeen 3 ...