A Keen 4,5,6 TileInfo [current version 3.2]

Utilities to affect Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams tilesets.
ckguy

A Keen 4,5,6 TileInfo [current version 3.2]

Post by ckguy »

Well, here it is - version 2.0. Over three years since the previous (and initial) release - how time flies!

You can get it from my new (still incomplete) website: theckguy.wikispaces.com

Click on "keen projects" on the side bar, then click on the program name to download it.

Anyway, have fun, make the program do weird things, find bugs ... use it in mods.

Just give me some feedback! Let me know what you think of the interface/ease of use/whatever.

Note: This post is obsolete. The current version is 3.2.
Last edited by ckguy on Sun May 06, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

Woah, excellent! :)

When I downloaded it, it was 'Ck456Tli(v2.0).zip' rather than 'Ck456Tli(v2[1].0).zip; I'm not sure what happened there.

The interface is good, but having to change tabs to save can be tedious at times.

I like the new release, I'll have a better look later today. :)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Its probably just renaming it, putting a "[1]" at the "end" of the filename, which, because of the "2.0", it thinks that the filename ends there. Ah, but that probably didn't make any sense. Not sure how to explain it.

This is nice. I don't have any Keen 4-6 tiles to edit, so I really didn't test it. But it's much better than a command line interface (which was what 1.0 was, right?)
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Freeyorp101 wrote:When I downloaded it, it was 'Ck456Tli(v2.0).zip' rather than 'Ck456Tli(v2[1].0).zip; I'm not sure what happened there.
Hmmm ... well that's settled then ...
Freeyorp101 wrote:The interface is good, but having to change tabs to save can be tedious at times.
You think so? It wouldn't be that hard to stick an extra save button on the foreground and background panels.
genius314 wrote:But it's much better than a command line interface (which was what 1.0 was, right?)
Yeah, it was this nasty DOS program that really didn't have a nice interface or anything.

What do you guys think of the tile selection by bitmap coordinates? Is it easy enough?

---

Also, I noticed there are a few nasty bugs (ie - program crashes) when the user enters a bad tile number. Whenever the next release comes out (I'll wait to see if there are more suggestions) I'll put in better error checking and handling.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

What do you guys think of the tile selection by bitmap coordinates? Is it easy enough?
I just use TED5 to get the tile numbers; It's not that hard.
It wouldn't be that hard to stick an extra save button on the foreground and background panels.
Perhaps placing the buttons above the tabs, so they are always visible?

--
levellass

Post by levellass »

I still prefer KeenRush's 1-3 format; it picks up a bitmap and you can browse among all the tiles simply and easily.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Well, here's version 2.1 - it's got a few changes, see the readme.

Get it.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

Nice modification.
LevelLass wrote:I still prefer KeenRush's 1-3 format; it picks up a bitmap and you can browse among all the tiles simply and easily.
Yes, yes, I prefer that format. Maybe KR can lend you the source code and you add that feature for version 2.5? Just an idea.

Anyway, having a tool for modifying Keen 4/5/6 tileinfo is great! Good job, I hope you add that feature some time!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

levellass wrote:I still prefer KeenRush's 1-3 format; it picks up a bitmap and you can browse among all the tiles simply and easily.
I know that other method is better, I just don't know how to do it in the obscure language (Euphoria) and obscure Windows library (Win32Lib - for Euphoria) I'm using. I guess I'll look into that more.

Also, did KR do a Keen 1-3 tileinfo program? The only one I've seen is by Andy.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

I was never sure who actually made that program. There's only one AFAIK, so maybe the one you're thinking about was actually KR's program.
Freeyorp101

Post by Freeyorp101 »

hmm. According to the 1-3 tilinfo I use, it was made by andy... was there another version I missed?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Maybe I was mistaken; KR produced the bridgecalc program and is a whizz at vbasic, however, I do think Andy did tileinfo.

Either way, ck123tli is one of the best pieces of coding I've seen for some time.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Tell me, would it be possible to include Keen Dreams support?
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

With all due respect, I made bridgecalc. (With a bit of random code grabbed from other people...)

Did somebody misreference it?

And on a more related note, I find myself doing a lot more KeenWrite importing with ck1-3tinfo (urrgh mouthful) than actual tileinfo tweaking...[/i]
levellass

Post by levellass »

Look; was *I* there when all this was done? No. I have no real idea who did anything, but it seems that KeenRush has (as usual) done nothing.

If anyone else did something, now would be the time to inform me.