The Game World

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Are we going to make palette changes? :)

Oh, and one other thing that came to my mind, I maybe have said this before, but I think we should only make the mods work with the newest versions, since it's now possible to update the old verion to new one. :)
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

Yes, since it's now possible to upgrade, we should definitely use just the one version.
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Just casually breaking in on the conversation, but you guys should keep in mind that the Vorticon games are limited to only blocky levels (unlike Keen3.5-6, where you can have slopes). It seems to me that it might be better to focus mostly on levels that are more Keen5-ish.
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

That doesn't really matter too much...
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Good point there Ilsoap, but it doesn't matter.. :) Blocks are better..
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

bug in Color Dialogue

Post by xtraverse »

you really are obsessed with the oldest game technology, aren't you keenrush?

Do you think that Keens 4-6 are too advanced? :D
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, that's way too advanced! :)
Oldest game technology, with small editing = WOHOOO!
CommanderSpleen

Oldest Game Tech = Easier to Edit

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Do you think that Keens 4-6 are too advanced? :D
We can't edit Keens 4-6 as much. That's why there's such an obsession with Keen1-3.

I wouldn't want to recreate a game using the exact same storyline and such, (though indeed others do a good job of this--such as Marooned on Mars II), and therefore Keens 4-6 are out of the question for the moment. I'm sure this would make a good excuse for KeenRush as well.

>Commander Spleen
CommanderSpleen

Tyrianness!

Over the past week, it's been a very JimSoft thing to do to play Tyrian--Monty and Victor kind of got me hooked on the game once more, and in the process I've discovered that some of the stuff found in Tyrian could make for the basis of some interesting CKCM ideas...

Firstly, of course, Gravitium ore is very similar to the stuff found on Gnosticene. It fits perfectly into the storyline of both Keen4 and the CKCM.

Some sort of intergalactic corporation could be the evildoers Keen is trying to thwart, come to mine the planet dry of this rare, valuable gravitic ore.

Ancient technology a la that on Ixmucane could perhaps be active throughout parts of the Shadowlandsy areas, presenting a new spin on the pyramids.

Crazy things like that. There are so many ideas that could come from that one game. I haven't put a whole lot of thought into it at this point--it just popped into my head earlier while playing Episode 4.

Anyway, enjoy.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Some sort of intergalactic corporation
Heh, one of those is playing major part in my current mod. :)

Yeah, and agree stuff you said. Hmmm.. Next week is going to be pretty busy for me (some exams), but the weekend after it I have plenty of good time (Ah, finally!). :)
Hmmm, we should decide stuff soon - can't wait to get in front of Keen editing tools. ;)
Robo Blue

Post by Robo Blue »

I like those ideas, but sadly, I am already starting to get busy with school. I'll try to pop in once a week and make some comments/suggestions.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, school keeps me a bit busy too, though I have time for this and so on.. :) And no one said we have to finish the trilogy before X-Mas, or did? We don't need to hurry.. :)
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Here's my take on the map; it's been sitting around for a while, but only recently scanned.

Here.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Looks pretty nice! :)
By the way, who is going to build the map when it's time? I suggest that someone who knows what wants to see there, Spleen?
I make only normal levels (well, not THAT normal, but you get the point), if you let me.
CommanderSpleen

Map/Levels

And no one said we have to finish the trilogy before X-Mas, or did? We don't need to hurry.. :)
Could be an interesting challenge... and even if we don't make the deadline, at least we'd have made a lot more progress than if we took on a 'whenever it's finished' attitude... What say ye?
Here's my take on the map; it's been sitting around for a while, but only recently scanned.
Ah, a new perspective. Maybe we can start integrating ideas a bit--we've got about four different takes on the map now, and if we can pull them together we can come up with something to actually work with (even if it gets changed along the way, at least it's a foundation).
By the way, who is going to build the map when it's time? I suggest that someone who knows what wants to see there, Spleen?
I'd love to work on the map, if nobody else wants to (whoever else wants to help work at it, be my guest). My Keen4ish map design results are so far turning out quite satisfactorily, so I can put our final map design into practice using what I'm learning here.

When it comes to levels, that's when things are going to get rather interesting. It'd be great to see what happens if everyone's given free reign to buld whatever they want using whatever tilesets we devise, and then go through them and combine the best parts of the overlapping levels (those that attempt to fill the same space on the map), and use any left-over ideas in other levels. That would ensure maximum quality and variety.

In the end, it doesn't really matter that much who does what--it's the end result we're looking for. Already I can tell it's gonna be great.

>Commander Spleen