KEENfx

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
CommanderSpleen

KEENfx

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I've spent the past week or so hard at work developing this little utility with which to edit the sound effects for Keen1. And, finally, here it is.

It still takes a bit of messing around to get anything intelligible, but at least it's far easier and more interesting than tweaking a bunch of hex values.

Not only can the sounds be edited, but they can also be resized and still work in-game.

Although self-contained and 100% usable for Keen1 modding, this is a relatively early version. I'm still looking for ways to make it more intuitive and quicker, and there will eventually be support for Keen2-3, and possibly the PC speaker sounds in Keen4-6.

Enjoy.

Btw, would it be possible, via some sort of tasty little patch, to externalise the Keen2-3 sound data from the executables, as the status screen was for Keen1? Then I can include complete support for these games in the next version.

>Commander Spleen
Last edited by CommanderSpleen on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Whoaly garg!
This tool rocks, it even has the Classy(tm) old-school console program interface! ::drool::
grafix

Gee You I

Post by grafix »

A console GUI? I loved those. Will download shortly.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, haven't checked yet the source -- I have no reason to observe the sound file stuff, but just for fun to check Spleen's codin' style. :)

Edit: Seems ok.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I like it but it won't play sound on my computer (XP Home).
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Btw, would it be possible, via some sort of tasty little patch, to externalise the Keen2-3 sound data from the executables, as the status screen was for Keen1? Then I can include complete support for these games in the next version.
It *might* be possible -- it depends on exactly how the sounds are stored in Keens 2-3. It might be difficult, though...