DISCUSSION: detail tiles

Discussion and analysis of graphics, story, levels, and so on.
XkyRauh

re: points

Post by XkyRauh »

Hmm... So what was your guys' opinion of the beads I used in XkyKeen2? Were they okay, or was the game less fun because of the boring points? Personally, I've never really thought of the appearance of points to be very important. Whenever I play a mod, I just hit F1 and look at what I'm supposed to be gathering...

--Xky
Ilsoap

Post by Ilsoap »

Point items have to be desirable, noticeable, and something tha won't be mistaken as a background. The points in the original Keens work well because they're hanging in midair. If you had any doubts about whether or not they were good, generally, hazards don't do that.

The design of point items is more important to me that it seems to be for Xky. I wish I had thought of better Lego-based items for my mod, but I still haven't thought of anything better. Math symbols seemed desirable to a math genius like Keen, so I used them.

I wasn't crazy about the point items in your mod, Xky, that looked like pebbles floating in mid air. I couldn't see why Keen'd want to get those.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

So what was your guys' opinion of the beads I used in XkyKeen2? Were they okay, or was the game less fun because of the boring points?
Hmmm, I didn't find them boring. They were colourful and candy-like, so I was happy to collect them.

Edit: Personally I don't find collecting toys or other stuff like that so nice, probably mainly because I spent all my childhood collecting shikadi sodas, teddy bears, lollipops, vorta-colas..
Edit again: ^ Or actually teddy bears aren't very eatable, but you got the point. Most of the Keen collectiables are something delicious.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Mmm, I like edible points myself.
XkyRauh

re: collectibles

Post by XkyRauh »

Everyone doesn't not like money, right? :-)

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm. I don't like very much to collect some money.. It even tasted bad. :\
But whatever there'll be in XkyKeen3 is of course exception. :)
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, be inventive. Not just cash, sacks of gold and silver [cliche] gems, crystals, tokens, orbs, the possiblities are endless.
CommanderSpleen

Moe's Ache.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Gah. I'm determined to get a purple, mosaic background tile to fit into Essence of Mayhem. I've been struggling with it since first starting to use it last year, and since then it's been through at least five different variations. It keeps changing because it ends up looking either too flat, too repetitive or just too damn nauseating.

However, this latest one I'm particularly fond of, but it still looks way too flat IMKO.

I've tried making the sparkly dot thinggies blue, and doubling up the lines, but it all ends up clashing.

Any ideas?

You'll also notice I've been experimenting with a different level style, which I like to call "wasting space".

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Woah, that is awesome! It's perfect the way it is now! Very nice stuff going on there.
XkyRauh

re: squiggly depth

Post by XkyRauh »

I gave it a shot in a few different places:

There's a few different ways to show the depth in there... I dunno what you're going for, but here's a few suggestions. :-)

Out of curiosity, how many tiles is that taking up? My count is 2, but I suspect it could be 4 or 5? (If it's not you may consider doing that... having detail tiles for your detail tiles? Sounds Spleenish... haha)

--Xky
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Here are three tile possibilities I whipped up:

KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Pretty. :) I wish I had your (Spleen, Xky, LL) skills.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

I just re-read about half of this topic - it was kind of fun reading about Xky talking about keen:dash now that its come out.

Great Mayhem pics, Spleen.

Oh and I downloaded Bad Dreams for Spleen from the Garg's Mod Maze recently (lots of mods there I never played) - LOL, funny poem levellord.
XkyRauh

re: pictures

Post by XkyRauh »

Somebody better let Grelphy know that his files are showing! It looks like he just uploaded different pictures with the same filename into his filespace--so rather than talk about the cloud he drew, his picture now shows part of his mod in progress! Yikes! :-)

I'm excited to see the latest Patchwork mod after re-reading this thread.

--Xky
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Oops... Yeah, I changed my naming scheme muchly with all those Vox screens, and the clouds got lost in the shuffle. Oh well. =)

it still looks way too flat IMKO
(spleen)
Feel good about yourself, it looks way less flat than my simple (read: boring) backgrounds! I might suggest that, like Xky, you add some shadows to it. Also, texturing the deep purple background with, for example, some black, might help.

Try this. As is, it would consume quite a few tiles to implement, but with some simplification, it might work well.