Shadow Keen 3

Showcase your completed mod here!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Shadow Keen 3

Post by levellord »

Oh dear god no...

Yep, the third 'n' final installment is finnished! http://www.freewebs.com/levellord_keen/shadowkeen3.zip

The tileset is currently pretty good, although it was wrecked when my computer crashed, and it will probbably be altered as time passes. I'm really trying to do this mod slowly this time, and I have somw after school activities which should prevent extensive modding anytime soon.

Here is what little I have so far:

Last edited by levellord on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

o dear god no!!
however it looks good. but don't think i will beta test again your mods are buggy and betatesting cant change that I'v learned.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

however it looks good. but don't think i will beta test again your mods are buggy and betatesting cant change that I'v learned.
:P

Nice to hear, and looks very nice too. Is that graphic made by you?
CommanderSpleen

Arr!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Ack! Already? =(x.)- I still haven't completed (any levels in) Shadow Keen 2!

At any rate, looks good so far. Take not of your beta testers' comments this time!

>Commander Spleen
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Shouldn't you be releasing a playable version of your last mod first?

I can't believe how you just not notice. You haven't even played the version that is currently up...
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

There are still things wrong with it? I thought I removed all the serious bugs! [And yes, I did listen to your advice, I repaired many of the bugs you found.] Maybe I uploaded a buggy version. If anyone wants to complain about anything please don't hesitate to mail me, otherwise I'll never learn.

It is a pity you will not be beta testing my next mod as I have improved my level design so that there should be a lot less bugs in them.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

I'm fine with that mod, but seriously, how much do you beta test by yourself and are you a bit sloppy? Try to polish your mod to perfection. :) (which, I, too bad, can't seem to do (note: I'm talking about my own work now))

Edit: Sweeeeet 1000.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Methinks a new thread is in the making....

I beta test extensivly by myself, problem is I always miss the most glaring errors and mistakes. [I'll test a level made mainly out of tile 42, then in a last minute change make tile 42 killing so wrecking the level.]

Captain Keen was an exceptionaly good beta tester, he seems to have a knack for finding even the tiniest errors and even when a level doesn't feel right.
CaptainKeen

Post by CaptainKeen »

well thank you for saying that but it would be alot more rewarding for me to spend my time finding and reporting them if you would actually fix them and don't make any last changes just before you release your mod that cause the mod to be unfinnishable.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Before this escalates into a flame war, allow me to make a few comments on beta testing.

1. Hire/recruit/draft/etc. more than one beta tester. Sure, you only need one (good), but more are better.

2. Test yourself, extensively. There are at least two builds of Keen Y out there because I forgot to test one final time before uploading, and a couple of nasty level errors snuck through.

3. Check the final version carefully. Take the *.zip, extract it to an empty folder, and playtest. Make sure you can finish every level. Some of the level in Keen Y are "concept" levels - they are possible (theoretically), but I've never actually finished them end to end. There may be more levels like this in Vox (muhahaha), so be warned...

4. When bugs make it into a release, try to fix them ASAP. If 2% of the people who downloaded the mod got a buggy version, it probably doesn't matter; if 50% got the buggy version, worry.

5. Finally, remember that this is all in fun. People won't stalk you, steal your credit card number, or break into your house with a large magnet and obliterate every trace of Keen stuff because you released a mod with a couple of bugs. Relax!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

5. Finally, remember that this is all in fun. People won't stalk you, steal your credit card number, or break into your house with a large magnet and obliterate every trace of Keen stuff because you released a mod with a couple of bugs. Relax!
Erhm.. Sure not..
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Flame war? What flame war? You actually think I' flame? I'll kill you you scum sucking miscreant!

I do all of the above steps except 1.)
Djaser

Post by Djaser »

LL do you promise us that it will be better than that last 'thing'?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

No.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Whoooo!

I've just finnished a marathon eight hour graphics blaze, and here are the results:

Progress so far, some story, nearly all graphics and a level.