Eulogy

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
adurdin
Site Founder

Eulogy

Post by adurdin »

I was reading the DOOM Bible (Tom Hall's plans for DOOM), and found this nice entry in the glossary:
Ted. The Tilemap EDitor, laid to rest in 1992, after five resurrections. Failing his System Shock, Ted's dead.
Ted was used in an amazing fifteen Id projects before it was laid to rest. It continues to be used by other outside developers. Ted is like an old friend that passed away -- and messed up memory with its "Display Unused Tiles" function before he left.
So many functions, so many uses, such a slow pattern flood fill -- Ted was where I lived for over a year. It’s time to move on -- though I may bed down with other programs, none will touch me like my first. I feel enough time has passed and I can now admit the truth-Ted popped my Id development tool cherry.
Yes, forty-five functions, twenty-seven hotkey commands, two of which tom used: F9 and Alt-X.
Ted, oh ted, my Belov-ed, i can't get you outta my head. I may now use the tool DoomEd, but i am sorry you are dead.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hehe.. Nice find adurdin. Looks like Tom wasn't very short-cut-type of level builder. :)

So, is that book written by Tom or what?
XkyRauh

re: TED5

Post by XkyRauh »

That's cute. :-) But it WAS built for function, not fashion.

--Xky
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Now that Andy's done ModKeen 2.0, I bet he's secretly working on a Keen 1-6 editor. :o
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Hmmm, I dunno about that, LL.

Like KeenRush said, neat.
O Mighty Tom, Creator of Keen wrote:Yes, forty-five functions, twenty-seven hotkey
Really?

-----

I never figured out what the vast majority of them did. Does one of them do this: you add more tiles to top or left of level. now all the tileinfo pointers point to wrong place. one command offsets all these back to correct place.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

He forgot to mention the fact that carmacization of two 20x20 maps on anything less than a P-III takes thirty minutes...

Personally, I find TED to be the best editor for Commander Keen. Or maybwe I just like the Keen 4-6 level features. But anyway, it needs more functions - forty-five's not enough. TED needs something like an "auto-door build" function and a "full-level tiled background applier."

Incidentally, there's a character in "Dilbert" called Ted. =P