ModKeen 2.0 released!

ModKeen mods Tiles and Sprites in all episodes of Commander Keen.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Yep, you got my full 437% support. Can I do anything for you? Any files you want uploaded, projects hosted orshoes polished?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, I could (and would like to) code the basic engine with C++ (for DOS), then someone could do the saving and loading functions.
But I'm extremely lazy and don't have time for some weeks, but after that I might get codin'.
BUT, I don't know good graphic and keyboard handling libraries, I would like to use double buffer stuff (name right?).. Something library where picture drawing would be really easy.. And other where keyboard handling as well.. Or those combined. :P
Snaily

Post by Snaily »

KeenRush - try Allegro.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Big thanks Snaily, that one looks very promising! :)
MultiMania
Patch Master

Thank you!

Post by MultiMania »

You just beat me. I was going to make MODK456 and I had almost finished the huffman routines. (at least I might now be able to finish it).

Keen:Dreams Supprt Sounds Good. (I might be able to write a program that lets you use Modkeen2 with it.)

Great work and Keenedit for Keen 1-6 + Dreams Sounds Good!

I can't Wait.

*Consults Teach Yourself Spleenish in 24 Hours*
This is worthy of a new word:
Mugglewumper a program or utility that surpasses all expectations and is the cause for a huge celebration!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Two people at once huh? Thats vland.
I had almost finished the huffman routines
Lord knows they're hard enough even for Keen. Since you've been pipped to the post, you could try to give Keenwright Dangerous Dave support, all it needs is a little tweaking (19 sprites are avalible and about 850 tiles)

[Vland, adj a happy coincidence.]
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, depends the way adurdin has coded it, I can't remember anything about the source and too lazy to investigate; in case the level format it same for DD and CK, maybe there is in the editor source set somewhere width and height of the tile selection form, and you can manually enter sprite 15, for example. :)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Multimania wrote:
Keen:Dreams Supprt Sounds Good. (I might be able to write a program that lets you use Modkeen2 with it.)
Rather, I'd recommend you take the ModKeen 2 source and modify it to suit your needs. The licence under which I've released it allows anyone to copy it and modify it as they wish (providing they don't misrepresent it) -- this was not the case for ModKeen 1. The source for ModKeen 2 is included in the .zip file.

All that's needed for Keen Dreams really is determination of the offsets of the various data structures (huffman dictionaries, EGAHEAD, etc) in the .exe, and a modification to support 4-byte offsets in EGAHEAD instead of 3-byte.
Quirky Moron

Post by Quirky Moron »

does it like work for the cga versions?
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

No, and I'm not planning to add support for them (I don't really see any point: would anyone really have a computer that doesn't support EGA that they'd need to play a Keen mod on?).
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Lol, yeah, you're right!

It would be fun to mod Dreams someday, too bad the code is a bit "buggy" I think. Or well, I don't like that Keen doesn't fall down if he dies (I know that's not a programming error but they were lazy), and if you're falling for example to flames, hit your jump key while you're falling and hold it so you can bounce up from the flames and they don't harm you.. :o
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

With modding it could be fixed. We can rebuild it, we have the technology!
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

KeenRush wrote:if you're falling for example to flames, hit your jump key while you're falling and hold it so you can bounce up from the flames and they don't harm you.. :o
I didn't know that!! Weird!
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Works with 'slime ' too.
XkyRauh

ModKeen2.0 problem

Post by XkyRauh »

Uh oh... ModKeen2.0 doesn't get along with Keen3 at all. Check this out:

Code: Select all

* Fresh copy of Keen3.

* Copy modkeen and unlzexe into the directory; unlzexe Keen3.

* Run:  modkeen.exe -export -episode=3

* Open any file, edit it (something as quick as drawing a diagonal line across it) and save it.

* Run:  modkeen.exe -import -episode=3

* Run:  keen3.exe
Does anyone else get a bunch of garbage onscreen? :-( The old ModKeen works fine; the new ModKeen2.0 can -export and then -import just fine if nothing's changed... but as soon as something changes, everything goes out the window.

I double- and triple- checked this before posting. At first I thought it was my graphic replacement for the Vorti-mommy being too big, and I re-sized it twice before accidentally over-riding it and losing my work (oops) but then I did the fresh copy, -export, diagonal line, -import thing and still had problems. :-\ Is it just my copy of Keen3?

--Xky