i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Re: i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Post by Fleexy »

Interesting. How exactly do you exit the level? (Keen can exit a level by touching a non-blocking level border, rescuing a Council member, or going through a special door.) Have you modified the world map?
Nisaba

Re: i want to begin to learn mapping for the galaxy engine and i need someone to support me!

Post by Nisaba »

have you tweaked the world map as well? maybe this is what the error message is all about... dunno...
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

oh, i'm sorry because i explained it wrong. it's just when i'm game over! when i have lost all my lives, this error occurs. but meanwhile i understand why. i shifted the highscores map from 19 to 21 in my list. slot 19 is empty now because i have deleted it and slot 20 is crystalus now and so i think that the game takes this as next one and so it's just the wrong one. i guess, that must be the reason. and so i think, it's time to fix the list. LOL!

thanks!
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

i can't start my map anyore with dosbox. i made a screenshot, in the black window apperas an error which shows that dosbox has a problem. after some seconds everything closes automatically. maybe you can help fleexy!

https://www9.zippyshare.com/v/BGaJlSl8/file.html

thanks!
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Hmm, maybe the game is trying to execute an illegal instruction. Have you made any changes to the patches? Did you make any changes to anything shortly before the problem started?
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

no, i don't know how to change patches. all i did was working a little bit on my map, every day. i just can do basic things and a little bit more but nothing complicated or special. i need someone to help me learn also this things later, because i want to know also the rest of the program. there are still many features and tools, which i never worked with and there are also so many other programs with which you can do more things in keen modding like creating your own graphics and so on. yesterday everything worked fine till the end but as i tried to start my map in dosbox today, it didn't work anymore. i can work without any problem in abiathar and can save everything and so on and there's also no problem shown in the level insepector. what should i do?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Interesting, it should be impossible for map changes to cause a crash that early in game startup. Maybe one of the other files was accidentally deleted? If you'd like to e-mail me the GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files, I can try the levels in a fresh environment.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

interesting...
this doesn't seem to be patch or mod related but instead a DOSBox issue. what kind of operating system are you using? Windows, Linux, MacOS? and which DOSBox version have you got installed?

in the meantime you can check this discussion on the "Exit to error Illegal GRP4 call 5" message over here:
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=33404

EDIT:
ah... and it might be interesting to know how you actually call the executable. do you drag and drop the batch file onto the DOSBox icon? or do you type commands in the DOSBox prompt? and if so, what exactly?
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

i am running windows 7 64-bit and i have the latest 0.74 version of dosbox. i always drag and drop the "play.bat" file in to the dosbox icon
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

so, i have make it working again. i could remember, that i drag and dropped the wrong file yesterday into dosbox. instead of "play.bat", i took "modimp.bat" unintended and that was the reason for everything. and so now i did everything that was necessary to make it work again and now it does without a problem

thanks!
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

is it normal that things don't work right, when you put a animating fg tile under a infoplane value? earlier there was always just a message in the level insepector when it was the case but nothing else happened. but i think that i never had the examples, that i have right now. for example i have a animtaing pistol fg tile under a blocking tile for the platform. the platform just ignores the blocking tile and runs over it. the next example is, that i have another blocking tile for another platform and it can be activated/deactivated with a switch. under this blocking tile is a animtaing water drop and when i take the switch first before collecting the drop, this weird color sqare appears. the same as when you put a moving fg tile on a moving bg tile. apparently the game doesnt like such things. and one question. can i send my map to you fleexy/nisaba for playtesting? the map is not finished to 100% but nearly. it would be interesting to know what you think about it.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Animating tiles hijack the infoplane over them to keep track of some animation info. This destroys any infoplane value over them, like B blocks. (It doesn't matter for sprites because the sprite is already spawned.) When infoplane switches try to change the infoplane value over an animating tile to insert or remove a B block, they destroy the animation info, causing the tile to animate to garbage. If you put both an animating background tile and an animating foreground tile in the same place, they try to use the same infoplane spot and therefore destroy each other's animation info.

I'd be happy to playtest for you! You can send the GAMEMAPS+MAPHEAD or an exported ASLEV to my e-mail.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

I'd be happy to playtest for you! You can send the GAMEMAPS+MAPHEAD or an exported ASLEV to my e-mail
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

you seem to be a fan of those T. Takemoto hacks called "Kaizo Mario World"?!
Your modded level is extremely difficult. In comparison to all Keen related levels I came across by now, this is by far the hardest and most punishing level design. the level looks and feels like you were deliberately breaking all normal rules of "accepted" level design. you've placed traps all over the place, an overload of enemies around every corner combined with a way too claustrophobic space management, which requires a lot of skill and timing to avoid all these hazards. nerve wrecking I must say, nerve wrecking! This cruelty and the resulting frustration, as well as the skill level required, seems the purpose of your mod. at least that's my impression that you are about to make this mod as mean and hard as possible. if so, I must say: well done!
even though I won't ever play this level again. See, I personally can't stand games that require bullet hell obsessive perfectionist game play skills, yet I sure do respect them! yes, it's insanely satisfying when you finally "beat" the level, but it drives me crazy spending 30 minutes to an hour replaying a level countless times just to beat it, much less master it. this is due too my aversion to Kaizo like mods. in other words, I'm surely not part of the target audience. so it's not exactly for me in the long but I'm glad I got a chance to experience it for what it is...

allow me one question please: have you ever managed to finish this very level yourself?

that all said, here's my video recorded "play through". hope you enjoy it: https://vimeo.com/283555637

ps.: love to see Fleex' attempts to beat this level...
darkdave1985

Post by darkdave1985 »

i told you that the map is hard and that the difficulty settings are not made so far. later on easy and normal it will be much easier of course. and i surely didn't want to make the map as hard as possible. that was for sure not my goal. i just like hard maps and so i made one and that's all but it doesn't have to be on the limit. and so of course it was my purpose in that case, that the map is overall tight and filled with surprising traps and hard monster placements because i'm not a big fan of this always wide open space maps, like we had them a lot so far and that gets boring in my opinion over the time. normally i like such wide open maps too but we had them so often and so i tried to make something new. and i only saw the difficulty as a challenge and nothing else and so i exaggerated it. and i didn't watch the whole video of you playing it so far but i must say that the most things by which you died the whole time, at the very beginning are by far not so hard as they come across in the video. and this kaizo mario things are fun to watch but i wouldn't build such a map like this, just for the reason that it becomes fucking hard and nothing else. and what you don't like about the visual map design excactly? give me some examples. i know what frustration of playing a map from somebody else can do by myself and how you feel after it, so i understand you but on the other side i must say that you are overreacting a little bit. but give me some time and i will make it easier and then we will see.

ps: please send me the video next time per mail, i don't want that anybody can see the map before it's released. it was just for you and fleexy for playtesting and nothing else. it's not a official released thing, it was just for you both. i have downloaded the video meanwhile, so you can delete the link.