swimming mods

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
Mills

swimming mods

Post by Mills »

Hi, I wanted to make a mod using the swimming behavieur of keen for a puzzle game in which the player would be a ball.
The ball has to:
-Bounce at certain tiles.
-Experience forces at certain tiles like slopes from top view, (Up, Down, Right, Left).

Thanks.
Nisaba

Re: swimming mods

Post by Nisaba »

FYI, February is the time of the year where most forum members go into hibernation...
see ya soon... yawn...
Mills

Post by Mills »

Well.. see you then...
levellass

Post by levellass »

So how exactly would this work? (You probably don't want swimming but a whole new set of behaviors.)

I assume the player can 'roll' Keen left and right, can the make him bounce as well? By 'forces' do you mean that Keen bounces off at an angle from slopes? A little more detail on what you want to achieve might be useful.
Mills

Post by Mills »

levellass wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 am So how exactly would this work?... A little more detail on what you want to achieve might be useful.
So, I don't know if the game can be modded like that, but here it goes:

1- The player spawns like a ball (that's easy) with no movement at all.
2- A pointer spawns near the player-ball. Left-right would make it move in circles around the ball, to show the direccion in which the ball will go (defined in x,y units).
3- Up-Down modify a variable that will be the speed of the ball.
4- Control will hit the ball, setting the desired speed and direction to the ball making it move. Then, the default game physics will simulate fricction and make it stop.
5- If the ball hits the up or bottom sides of a solid tile, the "y" speed will be negated (y = -1 * y... and the same for the "x" if the ball touches the right or left sides), This is what the game paragon does to mke a ball bounce.
6- If the ball hits a specific tile, the speed will be multiplied to simulate a slope or a force from top view. For example, a UP-slope will increase (or decrease) "y" speed to make the ball go up in the screen, only up, down, left, right forces are needed.

That's it. If only the Part 6 can be achieved it woul also be great, I played a bit some water levels and I didn't find any forces moving keen except, from gravity, so i guess that's not implemented by default.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This will prove to be very, very tricky. Ill do the best I can but it may take until next month to do. We'll just have to see what can be achieved.

Also, this replaces Keen's normal behavior yes? he's a ball all the time? Or is he a ball only when swimming? (Which is harder to do.)
Mills

Post by Mills »

levellass wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:25 pm Also, this replaces Keen's normal behavior yes? he's a ball all the time? Or is he a ball only when swimming? (Which is harder to do.)
The game would not be "keen" anymore, so it would be just a ball all the time.

Changing the C source would be simpler I think.
levellass

Post by levellass »

For you perhaps. Patching has always been easiest for me. What happens when Keenball is sitting on the ground, and the player tries to make it move downwards? Does it bounce up?
Mills

Post by Mills »

Yes, it will bounce up.

As gravity should be disabled, kenn won't "sit" on the ground. And if it is touching a ground or a wall, it will bounce at certain speed.

Something "simple" to start would be this:
- You "hit" the ball, (pressing up/down/left/right) then kenn-ball moves at some default speed in the direction pressed.
- Kenn-ball stops responding to the keys until it stops moving due to friction.
- When it stops, it will respond to keys again and the cycle begins.
- If it finds a wall, or it is sitting on one, it moves in the opposite direccion you hit it (bounces on all solid tiles).

If that works, then we can think about changing speed, and setting the amount of x and y speed the ball has, to change direction.
levellass

Post by levellass »

AAAh.

So this is more like playing a game of pool yes? Looking from above? That's going to be interesting to try and do. I have a basic ball setup for gravity and will have to try and adapt it.
Mills

Post by Mills »

levellass wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 am AAAh.

So this is more like playing a game of pool yes? Looking from above? That's going to be interesting to try and do. I have a basic ball setup for gravity and will have to try and adapt it.
Yes, It can be used for pool, or minigolf, or a "marble madness" clone.