The Commander Keen Community Mod!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Hey creeew?!

Post by KeenRush »

Are you out there? :) I want to get making some levels! :D
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

Well, before levels, we need graphics... Which is what I suggest we do next.

... or now. Or whatever. You know what I mean :P
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Open a new tilemap; mark out tiles as solid, masked, background, etc but don't do graphics. Send the tilemap off to Yowza so he can do the graphics while you build the levels. You will have no idea how the levels will look, and he won't know how the graphics will be displayed. Could have interesting results.
CommanderSpleen

There's activity in yonder forum!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

*hears murmurings on other side of link... investigates*
Well, before levels, we need graphics...
And before that we need a list of all the graphics that are going to be required. We've got the basics... the different levels styles have been discussed in other threads, along with a general overview of what's going to be found on the world map, but there'll be some specific elements that probably won't be known until a complete world map is properly designed. It'll probably evolve along the way, so I suppose what we have now will suffice.
Open a new tilemap; mark out tiles as solid, masked, background, etc but don't do graphics. Send the tilemap off to Yowza so he can do the graphics while you build the levels. You will have no idea how the levels will look, and he won't know how the graphics will be displayed. Could have interesting results.
Indeed... get the basic idea together and then make gradual modifications as the game concept evolves.

>Commander Spleen
XkyRauh

re: tiles

Post by XkyRauh »

Also, be sure to keep in mind that some tiles can't really be TileInfo'ed around... as far as I know, the "DONE" tiles and/or the ship parts need to be in their default location.

Don't be afraid to include a rediculous number of background tiles... you never know when it'd be handy to have an extra sign or three! ;-)

--Xky
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

No! Ship parts CAN be fiddled with, the don't have to be animated and more than one of each tile can be made. (In my mod I did the pointless task of making all the tiles used for the status screen keys, guns, parts, etc.)

Note: The highscore table and status bar will need to be patched to use the tiles you pick.

The Done tiles can't be changed because no one asked andy to find a patch for the 'finnish level' changes. Since he already messed with this code in his 32 level patch, I don't think it would be too hard.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

I suppose I should go ahead and scan in my "miscanellous stuff" concept art...

EDIT: Here you go.

Out of curiousity, do we have a fixed palette we're working with, or is it flexible?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Do you mean with that is it possible to change during the game? Nope.
The 16 colours can be changed to some other when starting the game with patching.
Yeah, and great stuff there in the picture! I could try to draw some of them (they don't seem too hard for my skills).. :)
By the way, we're going to have the Keen 1-3 or Keen 4-6 view? I suggest Keen 1-3 one..
And I bet that DONE sign is easy to change. I could try to search it after school today..
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

.BAT files will change the palette, but it may make the game too complicated, I'm on the Done sign as well but don't hold your breath.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Changing what happens with the "Done" tiles would be quite easy. In fact, changing things to get something similar to Keen 4-6 (with a "flag" or something) is probably also possible.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ That would be so cool..
Oh, and seems I didn't do anything to find those today - I went movies and so on. :)
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

these could be of use http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Ceili ... 0yorp3.jpg . these were the tiles to tribulation of the yorps but that was never finnished so perhaps they may be of use here.
Yowza

Post by Yowza »

Some of those could definately be of use! Especially those tree-ish ones! Nice :D
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

to tell the truth, i didnt draw some of that stuff including the trees. I think they were done by Grelphy and Zorath, but i dont remember.
CommanderSpleen

Ooooh. Wacky.

Post by CommanderSpleen »

*drools* I likey. I likey much so.

There's a lot in that tileset we can make use of. I'm particularly fond of those shore tiles.

>Commander Spleen