The CK Guy's Keen 5 Level Pack

Request patches for Keens 4-6.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Really good! :)
What more suited colour for obsessed Keen fans?
What a nice thing; it happens to be that the colours of my Keen site under-the-work are blue..
CommanderSpleen

Speeeeak to me, camels!

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Spleen--"Dark blue = obsession, Blue = devotion" ... why not post what the other colors are linked to over in the ol' Color Theory section? ;-)
Hmm... sounds like a plan. I shall do so, though it may be a while--I've paid particular attention to references to blue turning up randomly around me, but not much to others... thus, I could reel "blue ==" off the top of my head, but I'll need to do some re-research in order to do the same for the others.

>Commander Spleen
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

I faintly remember something about black and depression and red and passion.
CommanderSpleen

Black, Red

I faintly remember something about black and depression and red and passion.
"Dark, drab and dingy colours harm our spirits, morals, and health; they encourage crime, inhibitions, inferiority complexes, suicide and stunted development. They actually prevent the radiation of personal magnetism, the give and take beween human beings. They inhibit optimism, inspiration and therefore success.
"A glance at some of our streets with their dingy dark bricks and shrieking posters will at once show us one reason why apathy, dullness and poor health are still prevalent."

Red is indeed associated with passion, and there's a lot more I could add except it'd take the thread even further off topic. Maybe I should just put a huge excerpt in the Colour Theory thread instead of trying to summarise.

>Commander Spleen
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Hmmm, meaning of colours is also different in different cultures. Though, can not say any example because I'm too lazy to search one and can't remember the ones I knew.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

In my country the Moari consider black a symbol of strength, and don't consider purple at all.
CommanderSpleen

Colours and Conditioning

Hmmm, meaning of colours is also different in different cultures.
In my country the Moari consider black a symbol of strength, and don't consider purple at all.
The colour associations I'm quoting here is mostly in reference to those colours that surround us, rather than symbols themselves, so their interpretation can vary from one culture to the next, and even from one person to the next.

It seems I quoted too early in reference to black, anyway:
"White reflects back all the rays and is therefore cooling and restful. Black absorbs them all and is therefore warm, although neutralized."

This is only one particular reference... there are countless books and websites on the subject. There are some basics that most agree on, but there's no universal interpretation of any particular colour in its entirety (unless the basics are the entirety and further associations are brought about by conditioning).

>Commander Spleen
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Now that everyone's gone thoroughly off-topic ...

Release two of my level pack is almost done!
Br1ck

um

Post by Br1ck »

version 2? Is that the final release? (you'll post a link here when ver. 2 is done?)

Oh, and to get fire spinners to disappear, all fire spinner icons in TED MUST be pointing in the exact same direction. If even 1 is pointed differently the trick won't work.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Oooh, sounds pretty cool! Can't wait to see the Atrium (in case it's there)! Release tomorrow, today, next week?
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Release Two is coming sometime this week (I hope). The Atrium is done, except for going back and adding points, Vitalin, and such.

Br1ck -- No, I hope to keep making releases for some time--I'd like to eventually replace every level. I tried that (all spinning fire things pointed the same way) and then I pointed a switch (the kind used for changing platfrom/volteface paths) at the fire thing. When Keen flipped the switch, the twirly fire thing was off-screen. When I went over to it, that tile was filled with animated garbage. What am I doing wrong? I am *positive* that all the fire things were pointed the same way. But, I think I'll just do without this feature in The Atrium. I'll try it in another level, taking special care to put them all the same way.

What'll probably be coming in release is 2 levels 'Quick and Easy' and 'Not So Fast'. Q&E will have an exit right at the beginning of the level. However, the player *can* take another route and make the level more interresting. 'Not So Fast' will have a seemingly accessible (but actually unaccessible) exit right near the beginning.

Andy: Patch request: In the keen 5 executable, there is the string "SAVEGAMx.CK5" Patching this allows to use a different save game name. However, the 8th character is always replaced by the save game number (0 to 5 I think). I was wondering if you could change which character is replaced with the number. I know this sounds silly, but I'd like the save game files to be THECKGUY.SVx (in the second release, I'm having all the files by THECKGUY.* instead of CK_GUY.* like in release one).

*whew* that was a long post ...
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Code: Select all

%ext ck5
%version 1.4

%patch $1A3FB  $21

%end
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Just interested, what that byte there does?

Also, interesting to see this kind of save game name changing can be done.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Thanks, Andy
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

That byte is part of a three-byte instruction:
A2 1D 3C mov byte ptr [3C1D], al
3C1D is the address in the data segment of the 'x' in 'SAVEGAMx.CK5'. That byte merely changes the address to the address of the '5'.