'The Ruin of Roib'

Showcase your completed mod here!
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

Mind was pretty much blown with the planet rings you have to jump on. Did not even enter my head to try that. Facepalm. It was that other sequence-of-switches level that confused me I guess.

All of those above bugs are fine and fixed in the updated version, so forget about 'em. No issues at all so far from me.

Played it a few times on Normal-mode now. Cannot get past the slime lake and sick forest stage. That's abut my skill level cap.
Going to try on easy when I get the time.

There is one level that is insanely hard after you cycle through it the second time. Glass Gardens. The Kreeg will frustrate you and give you very little chance to get back up onto the ledge and into one of the glass buildings (you know the one at the very start of the level.)

So far I have found 3 mega candies! The cake, the jello, and the err.. umm.. hmmm, can't remember atm. Still looking for the rest.

I've tried to use cheats but F10+J and F10+G doesn't seem to work. What are the cheats? I keep telling myself I'm going to study each level reallllly closely before I give into using cheats (fingers crossed)

I wonder if you get the same enjoyment out of this game, seeing as you know where everything is. The surprises you find are pretty damn awesome. And the opening story, so true so very true.
Goodonya Bernie take it easy pal :)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

you still like it huh :) nice. i like how you like my mod.
Played it a few times on Normal-mode now. Cannot get past the slime lake and sick forest stage. That's abut my skill level cap.
There is one level that is insanely hard after you cycle through it the second time. Glass Gardens.
hmmm. the problem is that i tested out the first 5 levels quite a lot (as in, played them sequentially/properly) and so I think i got the skill level right, or good enough- but I haven't played the further levels properly and so I'm not entirely sure if the skill level is good enough (yep, ive never actually played my own mod all the way through yet :/).

how good are you at the normal keen galaxy games? (ill probly use you as a bit of a tester :p )
I've tried to use cheats but F10+J and F10+G doesn't seem to work.
i didnt mess with the basic cheats. you have to hold down A, 2 and ENTER first though.
I wonder if you get the same enjoyment out of this game, seeing as you know where everything is.
hmmm not really actually. like i mentioned, ive never played the mod all the way through. since I made each level and tested them again and again i get kinda sick of them :p
levellass

Post by levellass »

Personally I put too much stuff in my mods to ever know where everything is.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

hmm i think i remember every secret nook and cranny in mine.
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

stayfrosty82 wrote: There is one level that is insanely hard after you cycle through it the second time. Glass Gardens. The Kreeg will frustrate you and give you very little chance to get back up onto the ledge and into one of the glass buildings (you know the one at the very start of the level.)

Argh the frustration!!
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

ok ok, i hear your plea. ill try to remember to take that enemy out :) (i knew he was kinda hard. i put him there to hurt people because i hate humanity).
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

I've noticed that a Kreeg will follow you. In the above image for example, if you drop down and to your left, the Kreeg will also move towards the left. But it's all about mastering two quick super pogo jumps and timing it perfectly to also avoid the Fliphead (out of screen on your right.)

I pressed ESC-LOAD-RETURN-YES I WANT TO LOAD A NEW GAME so many times!!! I was wondering how people may have missed it. But then again, not everyone plays it iron man style!
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

I would suggest swapping the Fliphead and the Kreeg, but then the Kreeg may pose a problem again on the lower level. Maybe two Flipheads? It would be a touch too easy with the Kreeg removed though IMO. Maybe some other badguy up there (ningnong?)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

yeah you're right that kreeg is probly too hard. but i'd only replace him with an enemy thats already in the level (adding a new enemy to the level takes up more memory, which i dont want to do).

im working on something else now but hopefully i'll get around to sort out this mod correctly.
Root16

Kreeg fall off ledge

Post by Root16 »

If a kreeg fires his weapon when he's right on the edge he will drop down. (At least that's my experience over and over). Does this happen for anyone else? I echo everyone else's sentiments on this mod. So awesome.
Root16

Post by Root16 »

Bernie wrote:whoa whoa whoa... thank you so much :D
Thats a 'piece of heart' from the old Legend Of Zelda games. Just a pointless reference ;) mainly cause I treated the map level of the mod more similar to how the RPGs, like Zelda, played (i.e having characters to talk to, areas that 'unlock' as you progress).
I love this about the mod!
Hey I think you're the first person to mention that puzzle on the boards. its a shame cause I always like this puzzle :)
Its not a combo you have to get, you have to make the planet Glorb's rings be flat/horizontal, so you can stand on it to jump up ;) hopefully your mind is blown.
I thought this was really clever! I mean, I would have NEVER thought that this would be the solution. I think I actually got lucky and just was hitting levers, watching the planets move, and then started pogoing around without any idea or plan as to what the buttons were actually doing. This is one of the things that makes this mod so great, you can never be too sure what is and isn't possible, even though it's a mod of CK4, which I've played to death and thought I knew all what was possible with it. Brilliant!
It just cracks me up this game. Some of the levels, my eyes, my eyes!!! The music is really good. So good it has been in my head for days, driving me absolutely nuts!!
Yeah, I really like the music, too.
One more glitch I noticed. One of your levels (Gleem city perhaps) has a doorway you go through to a small room with two horizontally moving platforms and a heap of killer vegetables, a switch in the far lower left corner. I saved my game after entering this room. Promptly ate some broccoli, but when I loaded it back up the platforms were missing. Another reload and sometimes they would appear as normal, sometimes not there at all, sometimes there for a few seconds then vanished. You can still guess and try and jump on them (for some reason the glitch made them invisible) but the room puzzle was too hard to just guess your jump.
Oh crap, I didn't know about that one :/ thanks for pointing that out!
So the moving platforms would visually disappear but you could still stand on them?
also, did this happen more than once? I mean, if you were to start the level from the beginning, and play up till that point, would it happen again?
Sometimes before the game will freeze, objects will visually disappear on me as well (even though they are still there, acting out their mischief). One solution is to go to a stable area in the level and save the game again and then come back to the area that is causing a problem--more often than not that at least temporarily fixes the problem.
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

Take your time man. Nice to hear you are still at it creatively!

I've been busy lately but found a bit of spare time this morning to fire up your game again, but I'd lost the touch, you need skill to master the extra big pogo jump and make it second nature.

Your game is hard, but a lot of them are (5 just killed me with frustration!!!) I'm just an above average gamer I reckon ( is there anyone out there that can beat this game no save?)
I tips my hat to Keen 58. The enemies were a big highlight. The slops seemed to nail me the most - by surprise too, forcing me to become ultra defensive. The superduper often had to be provoked into flight and really tested my reflexes. I did not wish to hang around and grab candy near any Kreeg, and the Killaea Keenilia would always catch me on the bounce. And I had to laugh as I hung sneakily on the ledge only to have my nails removed by the fliphead above.

A hard, cruel and unforgiving game.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Root16 wrote:If a kreeg fires his weapon when he's right on the edge he will drop down.
yep ;)
I kept having that enemy uncontrollably spin on edges (if he fired on an edge) so I made the guy drop down in that situation. (I could've fixed at first by making the sprites take up more memory, which I didnt want to do).
Root16 wrote:Sometimes before the game will freeze, objects will visually disappear on me as well (even though they are still there, acting out their mischief).
ah crap :( I guess i still got some bugs to sort out. did this happen on any particular levels?
stayfrosty82 wrote:(5 just killed me with frustration!!!)
thats 'The Vault', right? hey, that level isnt too bad.
stayfrosty82 wrote:A hard, cruel and unforgiving game.
hehe. it used to be harder, you know. the first beta was tough, but some folks on pckf.com encouraged me to make it easier.
I don't think its too bad though, personally. look, I'll go through the whole thing again at some point and consider the difficulty one more time.
stayfrosty82

Post by stayfrosty82 »

Bernie wrote:
stayfrosty82 wrote:(5 just killed me with frustration!!!)
thats 'The Vault', right? hey, that level isnt too bad.
Oh no, I meant Keen 5. Hardest of the lot IMO (curse you Sparky!)

Vault is one of the tougher early levels though.

Your game has taught me to look up and down all the time.