Mod leftovers

Anything related to Keen Modding.
oasiz

Mod leftovers

Post by oasiz »

Hey,

Not sure if any of you remember but I did a mod for the "Improv" competetion that paramultart held almost two years ago.
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=1393&highlight= Original thread with more info.

Turns out that I managed to churn out some new content for the mod that was simply called "Oasiz's mod". I'll just rename it to something better for now.. hmm.. how about "Vodka" .

Did this thread to release the leftovers that I have for the mod. Not sure if anyone is interested at all but I'll just release them anyway since I just want to release them and not sit on them.
I used to have an older version but not all is lost as I still have an youtube video about the version (And it's only about 2-3 days of work at most I'd say).

In-dev videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vHIXWQTFA8 First video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6vjnAJHJBk Second level (concept)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXk9sUbpSY Second level (test)
And the last video that has the "lost material" included in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUuQ8ST10c

You can find the "lost content" tileset (had a spare copy): http://oasiz.lerppu.net/pic/?b=mapping/random/keenmod
That URL also has screenshots during various stages and concepts (plus you can probably see the inspiration).
I actually lost the sand stuff completely along with levels so I grabbed everything I had done from those old shots and rebuilt the tileset and did a new level as the old one got lost.

Now for the main course: http://lerppu.net/2MOD.zip has the project and the files. (extract and run go.bat)

A small level intro is in order I guess:
First level is a generic "all in one" kinda thing, I toned down the difficulty compared to the previous iteration but it should still provide a challenge.
Second level is meant to be a tutorial level (check the video for a better version)
Third (sand) has spikes and not that many enemies, uses in-level teleportation to give the illusion of continous geometry and also tries to fake a situation where "start has water when you enter and when you exit, the water has dried" kind of thing.
Fourth level was meant to be cliffs on both sides, you enter an alternate area VIA teleports that is supposed to be the cave interior, using cave interiors to rise up and zigzagging to the other side of the cliff (enter a cave) while you are outside. All while water is pouring from the top. A pretty far fetch but might have worked.

Again, those levels are best seen on the video.

Gameplay changes:
Won't spoil too much but there are some hacks and "far fetches" to introduce new gameplay gimmicks and mechanics:

- A Continue/checkpoint system that relies on a silver arrow that you find roughly mid-way on the first and the sand map.
- Appearing blocks
- Appearing blocks that demand a certain sphere (or none shall pass)
- Teleportation mid-level to provide some illusions (used in the sand level + checkpoint system)
And some stuff that didn't really make it in code:
- "rotating" squiggly spheres (Let's call them fiery colored tennis balls) that you are supposed to collect in order to unlock some stuff (ideally forced to collect in order to progress).

Remember, this was my first time touching CK1 modding and I mostly improvised all the additional stuff + code hacks so there are bound to be many many errors and quirks. Releasing this "as-is".
You are more than welcome to use all these assets (code hacks or textures) in your own projects.

Thanks, and have fun.
Last edited by oasiz on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levellass

Post by levellass »

*Opens folder*

*Looks at endless list of files*

Good heavens1 It'll take a day just to see what everything does in here! What a mess!
oasiz

Post by oasiz »

levellass wrote:*Opens folder*

*Looks at endless list of files*

Good heavens1 It'll take a day just to see what everything does in here! What a mess!
Yup :(

You can mostly ignore all that "v2" stuff as I never got it implemented properly (broke various things in the game).

You can take a look inside go.bat to see what is acutally really needed for it to load. I just happened to have the tools in the same kaboodle.
levellass

Post by levellass »

It certainly makes me thankful I use backup folders when doing my stuff. I think there's like two mod backups and then several side projects.
oasiz

Post by oasiz »

Yeah, normally I do backups and revisions per levels but this project was an exception. Not that much was lost in here anyway, just a day or two of work at most. I actually managed to lose the backup as well in this case.

Normally I have about 60-100 revisions/copies of a map I am doing so I can always go back and change things I am not happy with (usually up to 3 per day). I mirror my stuff to my home server http://oasiz.lerppu.net/pic/?b=mapping/ quite often.

Anyway, any modder should really be just interested in the code tweaks / graphics / levels (and running go.bat to test) so it isn't really that much of an hassle to slice what you need :)
plus you can get the tile graphic that I lost in the link I provided.
Only thing that was really lost is the start of a one level and cosmetic tweaks to a level or two.
EricMushroomWilson

Post by EricMushroomWilson »

Not sure I have the time to look closely right now, just dropping by (a little late) to say that I heartily encourage this sort of thing. Heck, I'd be pretty thrilled to see a mod come with a little "making of" thing of some sort. If I still had the files I might even make one of my own...
levellass

Post by levellass »

I must say that level with the teleport confused the heck out of me. Well done sir, well done!
oasiz

Post by oasiz »

levellass wrote:I must say that level with the teleport confused the heck out of me. Well done sir, well done!
Thanks.
This one was a concept that I rolled around in my head for a while. Inspired by mario's 4-4 / 8-4 (etc.).
A picture can explain more than a thousand words I guess..

Lines are obviously teleports, left side is "two times" the same area, other is day&water and the other one is dried night. You only really get to see the daytime area once and by the time you come back from your journey, it's night time. (You also go where the water used to be to get a sphere so that you can continue).

I intended to include a full use of the teleport in the sunny waterfall level that I never really finished. Basically having two separated areas inside the same level data that would act as "indoor" and "outdoor". This would allow you to fake entering and exiting caves. (Plus do some other cool FG/BG trickery).

EricMushroomWilson: I agree. Personally seeing behind the scenes encourages people to keep on making and learning. You get to see the rough concepts and such which motivate people instead of just getting the final product blown in to your face with no idea how to do anything even remotely similar :)
This is kinda why I rename all my different map revisions so that I can have a look back to what I initially had in my mind and get inspired again by all of it.
Last edited by oasiz on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I can tell that from a bird's eye overview of the map the space doesn't make logical sense, but ingame the areas would feel seamless.

Nice job, keep workin at it.
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

I wonder if a trick like this could be patched into Galaxy with some kind of teleport tile? That would have so much potential. Thanks for showing this idea oasiz.
levellass

Post by levellass »

The doors work as a teleport system (Press key when standing on tile type x) and the can be made instant (Or to display a teleport type animation.) so it should be possible. We'd need to co-opt a tile type (Say fuse top) and it'd be hard to fit in the extra option in Keen's tile collision code, but after that was set up, the rest would be a breeze.