Zeus' Keen Mod

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Zeus

Zeus' Keen Mod

Post by Zeus »

Hey everyone!

First of all, I would like to introduce myself to the community. I am from germany, aged 25 and after I found the "Universe is toast" series (which are pretty good) I looked forward to produce my own Keen-Trilogy.

The easiest part is done - it will be named "Hello, Galaxy!" and I began to work on a Mod for Keen5. I guess, I won't change much of graphics since I don't know how. :D But perhaps I'll learn even this.

But now, that I began Modding, there are first problems. I am working on my 1st level, which is the 1st for me, too. It has 2 Switches and 1 Key Gem Door. The first Switch is to active a goplate - this works fine. The second one should close a bridge - won't work. The Key Gem Door isn't working either (as you see, patching works, I CAN play my own level, yeah :))

I read the Tutorial by Ceilick and read this Tutorial but nothing helps. I am using The Omegamatic with Keen:Next Mode. I think, that I just understand how things should work: I take the cursor to the highest Tile of the door and push enter twice to get the code, which I place above the keygem holder. This works with my goplate, but not with door/bridge. And I dont know the reason why the code is always changing, everytime I open the gamemaps in TOM the Code is different from the last time.

I hope my english isn't that bad and u guys can help me a little! Thank you!
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Hi Zeus, welcome to the forum and Keen Modding!
I take the cursor to the highest Tile of the door and push enter twice to get the code, which I place above the keygem holder.
Almost right; after getting the code you need to place it directly on the keygem holder, not above it.

For bridges, you get the code from the from the tile just to the right of the top left bridge tile.

Hope this helps! Happy modding :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

It helps to look at the original levels to see how they do things, especially in TUIT, where some basic things are used very inventively.

feel free to ask for patches and other help too.

Also, if you place your mouse over the door top\bridge start and press enter, the value in the window that appears can be placed on the gem holder\switch. (TOM converts your mouse position into a sprite value.) But this only works when the top and left borders of the level are onscreen. (Zooming out helps to get most of the level onscreen.) otherwise the value is messed up.

(Mink, I think this is because it calculates based on where on the screen the pointer is, not where in the level.)
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

But this only works when the top and left borders of the level are onscreen.
Actually, I believe this is incorrect. Pressing enter only works when at a certain zoom level. I think Mink may have tried fixing this in the past, but I don't know if he succeeded.

Also welcome Zeus! Make sure you are using the right kind of switch for bridges. One switch type controls elevators, the other type controls bridges. Keep fiddling with Keen 5 levels, as that will really help you learn about levelmaking. Once you thoroughly understand levelmaking, making graphics will be a lot easier.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Yeah, now it works! levellass was right, I just always zoomed in to get the code, now tried it with no zoom and it works. Yes! :)

I just looked nearly everything out of other levels, copied and pasted and looked, which tile the original levels used. The Tools are really easy and Ceilicks Tutorial on Keen Wiki is really good.

So...I just go back modding :D

*edit*
Just got one question: In TOM, Keen:next Mode, is it possible to activate more than one tile on the right? For example when I try to place a nice background, I have to click tile for tile..
bubbatom

Post by bubbatom »

Zeus wrote:Just got one question: In TOM, Keen:next Mode, is it possible to activate more than one tile on the right? For example when I try to place a nice background, I have to click tile for tile..
Yes, to do this simply click on the tile in the corner (any corner will do) of the background you wish to place in the level, then (after clicking on the first tile) hold 'shift' and then click in the opposite corner of the background and you should have a large rectangle of background to place down.

Hope this helps.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Perfect!

I just made my first own level - everything works, it's of course the best first level ever and now I go over to the 2nd.

Theres one thing on my mind still...how about graphics, different enemies and so on. Do I just have to edit the images like "5SPR0264" to let the enemies look different? What about their behavior (like the jumping mushroom in Keen 4 - could I adjust the height of his jumps?).
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

To change the graphics, you'll need to export the graphics (which it sounds like you've already done) using either Modkeen or Keengraph. I recommend using Modkeen (nothing against you Levellass). Once you're done, you'll want to import the changed graphics back into the game.

To export graphic files using Modkeen, run a batch file with the following text:

Code: Select all

-modkeen -export -episode=5 -bmpdir="name of your graphics folder"
To import graphic files using Modkeen, run a batch file with the following text:

Code: Select all

-modkeen -import -episode=5 -bmpdir="name of your graphics folder"
If you do use Modkeen, I also recommend downloading Keengrout
http://pckf.9thfrontier.com/viewtopic.php?t=179
It will create a second copy of all of your images. In the grouted version, you won't have to worry about masking, and there are gridlines on the tilesets. All you have to do is edit those grouted files, run Keengrout, and then import.

If you don't want to mess with Keengrout, then you can try Keengraph instead.
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keengraph

As for making new enemies, you might want to hold off on that for now. If you want to change simple things like the mad mushroom height, you can find a patch to do so (I think there's a mad mushroom height patch somewhere on this forum). You'll need to paste that patch into your patch file and then edit certain values. A fair warning, changing enemy sprites and enemy behavior can be very challenging.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

I just got stucked with the Error "No free spots in Objarray"...I just thinned out my level but I just can't take back more tiles. As I read in the tutorial, there should be no more than 400 Tiles...but when I look at the original "Gravitational Damping Hub" there are much more tiles and sprites than I have placed in my level...
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

Perhaps you have too many animated tiles on screen at once? I think the limit is somewhere around 80. Does the level crash when start it up or when you reach a certain part of the level? If it only crashes in a certain area, then try decreasing the amount of animated tiles on screen. Sprites shouldn't have anything to do with this problem.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

It crashes when entering the level...

*edit*
I just deleted some Point-Things (how are they called? :D) and now it works. Hm. Just compared it to other levels, there are definitely more.
levellass

Post by levellass »

The Obj array or Object array handles sprites, including B sprites, enemies, Keen and point sprites. basically anything that vanishes when you press '6'

The tile array is a whole different set of errors (Too many different animated tiles, too many different tiles, unending foreground loop...)

Try using tile points instead. you really only need to use sprite points when they're hidden behind something.

Altering enemy behaviors ranges from trivially easy to impossibly difficult, depending on what you want to do. Usually if you can't figure out how to use the keen wiki or patch index to do something, asking here will get you a patch and explanation.

Actually, I believe this is incorrect. Pressing enter only works when at a certain zoom level. I think Mink may have tried fixing this in the past, but I don't know if he succeeded.
In the version I have the lesser zooms simply make it such that the left\top borders are onscreen. If I'm zoomed in I can only see a little bit of the level while also seeing the t/l borders, meaning the more you zoom out the bigger the 'works area' is, until it fills the whole level.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

That was a good hint, thank you levellass! I used the point sprites and changed it to tile points - now it works.

I just edited some graphics and finished off level 2. This makes kind of fun :)

*edit*
Is it possible to add new levels @TOM?
Mink

Post by Mink »

Yep, go to File >> New Level and pick a number, name, and dimensions. You can overwrite other levels. And you can always change these things later.

And I'm glad that you're modding and that you're using TOM. Good luck!
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Thank you!

Inserting a new level works - but I cannot reach it. It's level #20 and to reach it in the game I looked up the hexadecimal for 20 (which is 14) and took the code "C014" to enter the level - but it's not working... what am I doing wrong?