KeenGraph 2.2

KeenGraph is a ModKeen alternative with extra features for Keen:Vorticons.
Draik

Post by Draik »

Neato.
KEENapplesauce

Post by KEENapplesauce »

How do I extract the "Terminator" text graphics from keen 6?
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

For some reason, whenever I try to import my graphics back into Keen 1 (despite not changing anything except the walking frames so far and not changing the size of them at all) Keen1.exe is suddenly unable to run on the grounds that there isn't enough memory.

EDIT: Specifically, "Out of memory! Try unloading your TSRs!"
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

Are you using dosbox?
Zero X. Diamond

For KeenGraph, no, since the latest version says it can't run in it.

For Keen, I've tried it both ways and they both herald the same results, both DOSBox and command prompt. I can't explain it. Previously, I attempted to do it with an older version of KeenGraph, but that was inexplicably trying to import Terminator text graphics to Keen 1 and never managed to accomplish anything (and I recopied a fresh directory over my project to assure nothing had gone wrong as a result).

EDIT: Doing it over a completely fresh Keen install causes the error as well. For some reason, despite only eight sprites being changed at all, the size of EGALATCH.CK1 and EGASPRIT.CK1 have doubled. KeenGraph can still extract the graphics from them but the game continues to say it's out of memory.
levellass

Post by levellass »

If an untouched copy of Keen 1 is used the graphics will not be compressed on import leading to a LATCH\SPRIT size of 116 and 30KB respectively.

Hmmmmn, turns out that whatever the value at $44 in EGAHEAD does, it does *something* ; turns out I was putting data there. (It was 0, but while doing galaxy stuff it got made $27 on startup, meaning the EGAHEAD had a 1-byte bug. Terrible!)

The latest version of Keengraph fixes this little bug. Good thing you caught it, you have my thanks! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/KEENGRAPH.zip
Zero X. Diamond

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot, ll!
Zero X. Diamond

Hate to double post, but I'm curious: any chance of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure support soon? I've had a simple, funny idea for a mod for literally years now and I'd like to give it a shot if it's possible. Also, though it's not listed, any chance there could be support for Crystal Caves in the future?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Oh it support cos-

*Looks*

Rats! no, it doesn't *quite*; I blanked a few things so I could try and make export faster. I can probably get it up by the end of the week, once I get other things out of the way.
Zero X. Diamond

Boy, it's sure been a long week!

Just kidding. Wondering if you've made any progress on the Cosmo front.
levellass

Post by levellass »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/MASKTILE.BMP

The only remaining problem is an issue causing occasional crashes; I'd fix it, but I'm involved in a dozen mod projects that keep distracting my time. I now must adopt the DNF mantra 'when it's done', though hopefully I can spare some time this week. It's so easy to get bogged down...
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

What on earth did you do to QuickBASIC to break DOS compatibility?
levellass

Post by levellass »

I was compiled into 32-bit using FreeBasic, a DOS compatible version can be built from the source, but it's more clunky.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Lass, can you link the latest source file? The ones in the Dropbox are disorganised and moldy looking and sometimes broken.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I recently moved all my Keengraph files to Dropbox, wonderful backup. I could share it with you if you like, but this is the latest source: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/KEENGRAPH.BAS It's also in my PCKF folder now. (I temporarily forgot I had one.)