RAD -> IMF

Tools, assembly, and file formats.
CommanderSpleen

RAD -> IMF

Post by CommanderSpleen »

A while ago Mr. M introduced #pckf to Reality Adlib Tracker. It's pretty coolgut, and could potentially be a nice direct means of creating music for Keen mods, bypassing the complicated issues involved in MIDI->IMF conversion.

The problem is the tracker outputs RAD files. They can be played with an included program, but they're not too useful for including in a Keen engine. So I'm sending out this challenge to figure out a way to convert from RAD to IMF.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

I'm currently working on a sort of universal converter which will eventually be able to convert between MIDI and IMF (in both directions) but it's still in the very early stages at the moment. However it can already convert DOSBox DRO captures into IMF, so if you can play your RAD file inside of DOSBox it could be converted into IMF very easily.

Unfortunately I've only implemented DROv1 at the moment (so DOSBox 0.72 and earlier, IIRC) however it wouldn't be too much effort to implement the new DRO version as well. Or perhaps, should there be sufficient information out there, a direct RAD reader/writer instead...
lemm

Post by lemm »

levellass

Post by levellass »

I can put RAD support in Keenwave if someone can get me the format of the file. (I can already do to\from DRO.) In fact I want to know what kind of IMF fiddling KeenWave should be capable of. (It's a DOS-like interface, but it can do simple stuff.)
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Hmm, looks like direct RAD support won't happen for a while. Lemm's link covers the basic format except for the effects, and it turns out since AdPlug can play RAD files there's source to refer to. AdPlug seems to work by using a small bit of code to convert the RAD file into a .mod style format, and then passes it on to the .mod player (which I'm guessing also handles those .s3m files with Adlib instruments, among many other tracker-style formats.) So I guess it uses those effects.

Since I currently have nothing in the way of pattern handling yet, I'll need to implement that before RAD support, so Levellass, looks like it's up to you :-)

Although since my last message I have implemented DROv2 support in my converter, so that's also an option alongside KeenWave. On a side note, now I can finally convert DROv2 files into DROv1...
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmmn... it really IS a mod format already, similar to PSM\S3M, which is good. Does anyone ahve links to a simple and a complex RAD file? Could take some time.

Also, when you do patterns Mal, can you make an S3M<>PSM converter? LL's one is buggy and I'm having a hard time deciphering her code.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

If you want some sample RAD files (as well as a dozen alternatives) go to http://chiptunes.back2roots.org/ and download the Adlib archive (5.5MB, link is on the left of the page under 'Complete Archives'.) I think AdPlug plays all files in the archive.

At this stage I can't guarantee I will implement all tracker formats like S3M and PSM (I figure implementing IT or something that covers everything will be enough, as many trackers can then convert that to other formats) however patches will be welcome if you have a little C++ experience.

Having said that, PSM is more likely to be implemented given that it was actually used in a game, which is my main focus (the library is called libgamemusic after all!)
levellass

Post by levellass »

TWO games. (Three if you count the alternative format used in Silverball.) Conversion should though, be a simple process, S3M and PSM are very closely related and both can go to .IT easily enough. But there are NO utilities to convert from anything TO PSM. (Though I do have an old utility to convert between old\new PSM formats and S3M.)

Thanks for the link!
darthslaw

Post by darthslaw »

levellass wrote:But there are NO utilities to convert from anything TO PSM.
How about some of the stuff here:

http://omf.niraj.ws/2097downloads.htm

PSM Converter (#38) can convert MOD, 669, STK, and S3M to PSM.

Chronos Module Converter (#18) can go from PSM to several other formats, though it sounds like you may already have that covered.

Unfortunately, no public source code that I'm aware of is available for those tools.

My testing info:

I successfully converted ARENA0.PSM (from One Must Fall: 2097) to an S3M using CMC, then to a PSM again using PSM converter. I answered 'n' (no) to all 3 conversion prompts from CMC, and the new PSM played fine in-game (I initially answered 'y' 'n' 'y', but the game locked up)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaah that's wonderful, good news for LL I should think.