TILE TIEM

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

Post by lemm »

they will climb up the left and down the right
doomjedi

Re: tielset update

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: - indoor theme for inside the stone houses.

Which of object type I should tryto make to fit 16x16 grid? Only backgrounds? foregrounds too?
...or maybe masks as well?
lemm

Post by lemm »

Those are very nicely detailed. All tiles must eventually fit in the tile bitmap, foreground, background and masked.

About drawing priority I understand, and for that they probably need to be blockable as well I guess.
But can they use transparency?
Are those "platform tiles" in your terms?
Foreground tiles are not transparent at all, and tiles that will be used as platforms will not necessarily be foreground tiles.

Remember that there is only one layer of tiles, so we can't have a layer of background tiles, and then a layer of foreground tiles. The only place transparency is relevant is if the is drawn totally in front of sprites, partially in front of sprites, or totally behind sprites.
You do the masks right? I don't have to worry?
This is like upper edge of the platform, right?
Sure, I can make the masks. The upper edge of platforms would still be background tiles, because they are drawn completely behind the sprites.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:Those are very nicely detailed.
Thank you :) Tried to make them fit 16x16 grid and to be tilable. But didn't take into account the thing you said about the platform, being partually a background. This whole thing is still really confusing to me... 3 types of "sprites" and yet only 1 background tile layer....
How do I make the platform, that needs to be a bit 3d? 16x16 sprite, or less+background?

But I can make the "platform-ones" to fit your needs.

Can you feedback not only the quality of the art, but how they fit ShadowLands primitive theme, so you'll lead me to make sprites that fit your vision and theme and not making more art in the wrong direction.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Can you feedback not only the quality of the art, but how they fit ShadowLands primitive theme, so you'll lead me to make sprites that fit your vision and theme and not making more art in the wrong direction.
I would think definitely what you just drew would be the limit in terms of modern-ness. Definitely nothing newer than that. I know we'll need a lot of incan/egyptian/mayan type stuff for the archaeological site.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I can do heiroglyph type tiles and egyptian pictures.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

levellass wrote:I can do heiroglyph type tiles and egyptian pictures.
We need nice tilable columns too
levellass

Post by levellass »

I've put some glyph and pillar tiles in the dropbox tiles folder,a re these worth developing? (I used an Egyptian theme for them.)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

It's a great concept. Gnosticene-themed glyphs in that style would be excellent.
levellass

Post by levellass »

What would Gnosticene themed glyphs look like? I'm basing mine on ancient Egyptian glyphs and Chinese writing (That is in columns moving down.)
lemm

Post by lemm »

Some of it could just be stylized SGA. You could include those words in SGA spoken by the oracle council at the end of keen4.

Silhouettes of shadowlands creatures and the oracle also good.