Sprite thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
doomjedi

Re: Changes

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: Janitor bird and green bird do not have illuminated hit frames anymore, since none of the other sprites do, and we should be consistent.
Which one is better? Maybe to try to make illuminated frames for the rest? Though it's a nasty art-task.
I'll consider the pogo squish for the frog, but I am inclined to keep it as it is right now. I think its a bit too large to be squashed.
I don't mind to keep it the way it is.
I also want to redo the large red alien. Could you redraw the head so that it does a 3 frame rotation? Could you also shorten the outstretched tentacles so that the sprite is at most 96 px wide?
Ok, I'll see what I can do.
Indeed, the offsetting of this enemy wasn't too good as well in a testmod, forgot to tell you.
lemm

Post by lemm »

doomjedi wrote: Which one is better? Maybe to try to make illuminated frames for the rest? Though it's a nasty art-task.
It would be nice to have frames for all the sprites, but there's not enough memory.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:
doomjedi wrote: Which one is better? Maybe to try to make illuminated frames for the rest? Though it's a nasty art-task.
It would be nice to have frames for all the sprites, but there's not enough memory.
Ok, let's scrap those special frames then :)
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

I also want to redo the large red alien. Could you redraw the head so that it does a 3 frame rotation?
Can 2-frame animation fit? I don't see a good 3-frame one...
Could you also shorten the outstretched tentacles so that the sprite is at most 96 px wide?
I measured current red creature, and he is only 75 pixel width, with his both tentacles extended at the same time...so where is the problem?
lemm wrote: Can you draw left/right stunned frames for the bow shooter?
lemm

Post by lemm »

fff I meant 48 pixels
forgot to divide by 2

yeah 2 frame animation is fine
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:fff I meant 48 pixels
forgot to divide by 2
lemm

Post by lemm »

What I mean is for red alien's body to stay at the center of the 48 px all the time.

Is it also possible for you to redraw the tail of the Devil so that it points upwards instead of outwards?. It will be easier for me to position the collision boxes and the offsets if the sprite is more rectangular.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:What I mean is for red alien's body to stay at the center of the 48 px all the time.
I don't see how I can do that and keep his tenticle attack to both sides. Unless I'll make his head REALLY REALLY small.
Do you still want him to attack with his tenticles?
Is it also possible for you to redraw the tail of the Devil so that it points upwards instead of outwards?. It will be easier for me to position the collision boxes and the offsets if the sprite is more rectangular.

P.S. Interesting that you didn't ask "is it possible?" in the first task ;)
lemm

Post by lemm »

Alrighty, stuff updated. New testmod for you to try out.

As for the devil, that's basically the best I can do wrt positioning, because its hitbox has to change when it unflames.

You can check out the new behaviour of the alien by going to level 7 (slugbridge), collecting the battery, then going to level 4 (slugpost). I scrapped the head following because the head kept getting stck. I can't make him walk because the bounding box changes too much relative to the sprite, so it would fall through slopes and go through walls and all that.

The red alien is extremely powerful on a totally open flat surface, as it is very accurate with its projectiles. On the flip side, it is practically helpless in an enclosed area, as they travel high into the air. I think the best place to put the enemy might be either in the bottom of a slight valley, or underneath an arc of stepping stones. I am thinking it might be a good midway boss? Perhaps keen can free the boot people from this terrible monster, who in return give him some sort of item.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote: As for the devil, that's basically the best I can do wrt positioning, because its hitbox has to change when it unflames.
He look ok now IMO

Alot of remarks about this update:

1. The Jumping Slime should be STILL STANDING on the ground in his second frame, and jumps only on the third frame - it is seen clearly from the art frames. You made him jump in his second frame, and it looks MOST weird.
Also - what's with his death frame?

Originally you inplemented him better AFAIK.

So - second frame should move him ON THE GROUND a bit to the side of the jump, like preparing to jump - and the jump is only in third frame.

2. Yoga Lizard - his art frame is cut in it's upper side (the head) in the "using Force" frame - check that out.

3. Red Alien - his head is too detached to look like it's HIS HEAD - it needs to "bounce" lower in it's bouncing path, almost or totally connecting to the rest of ther body in it's botton point.

4. Winged Ball - he changes frames too late. First he change his movement to the opposite direction (still facing it's original direction) - and only then, after a delay - changes to frame to look the right direction. Looks weird.

5. Scorpion - looks amazing. Great enemy, nice implementation.
Only nitpick - sometimes he looks in the right distance to attack (artwise) - but still prefers a jump, which bring him too close to Keen, to his standing spot, and thwe rest of the attack looks weird. Can't he attack from a bit larger distance (over jump)
Something in his bounding box?

5. Did you scrap the blue eye-shooter? Anyway, I don't mind. Not the coolest enemy I've made.
lemm

Post by lemm »

1. Okay, I'll fix that. (My thinking was that the 3rd frame would only be used for the downward motion.)

2. Right, its eyebrows are missing. Another cool (and totally unintended) feature with this sprite: you can avoid the wind by crawling, and if you get really close to him, stand up, and press pogo button, he shoots you VERY quickly in one direction. We could exploit that in conjunction with a lrage spike pit that is too large just to jump across, for example.

3. Okay, I will lower the vertical thrust.

4. Yeah... the issue before that was that it would change its left/right frame too quickly if its X velocity was around 0, so it would flip back and forth (which looked even worse); still need to strike a balance between teh two extremes

5. Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't make it move while he attacks, because it must stay perfectly still while its bounding box is changed, so stinging in mid air is out. I can increase the distance at which it will attempt to attack by 1/2 a tile or so.

5. Blue eyeball shooter is still in. I accidentally removed it from the map. It doesn't walk any more. I also forgot to put the "boot people" in.

Another sprite request: there are some enemies that take multiple hits, so the player has to know if his shot registers an impact. In Keen Galaxy, sprites flashed white if they were harmed, but since I didn't have the foresight to put that in, there needs to be another way to visualize a hit. I was thinking something like a comic book "POW"
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:1. Okay, I'll fix that. (My thinking was that the 3rd frame would only be used for the downward motion
No. In my spritesheet it's "normal frame", "prepare to jump" and "jumping frame". You can make him hop down with that frame on downslopes.
2. Right, its eyebrows are missing. Another cool (and totally unintended) feature with this sprite: you can avoid the wind by crawling
Some how he can't shoot while crawling. Maybe it's indeed good for balancing, so crawling won't be overused.
3. Okay, I will lower the vertical thrust.
No, I think it's ok, I didn't notice it's variable height motion.
Anyway - keep the ability (for Keen) to both jump above him (at low point of head), and jump in between the head and the body - in the upper point of the head. It's very cool IMO. So as long as head goes low - it should go high enouph in upper point to allow Keen to jump in between.
5. Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't make it move while he attacks, because it must stay perfectly still while its bounding box is changed, so stinging in mid air is out. I can increase the distance at which it will attempt to attack by 1/2 a tile or so.
Will he be killable?
Another sprite request: there are some enemies that take multiple hits, so the player has to know if his shot registers an impact. In Keen Galaxy, sprites flashed white if they were harmed, but since I didn't have the foresight to put that in, there needs to be another way to visualize a hit. I was thinking something like a comic book "POW"
Yes, we need to think....I might have some ideas too...

Can you list the enemies?

(My names for them are: Devil, Jumping Slime, Winged Ball, Frog+froggies, Boot People, SnakeRoller, MadRunner, Scorpion, EyeShooter, Slug, Janitor Bird, Lick, BowShooter, WandGuard, BigMouth, Turtle, Green Bird, Green Sloth, Yoga(aka Force) Lizard, Scared Bear, ClawWalker....)
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Note that sloth is below Keen shooting line and so hard to kill
lemm

Post by lemm »

Update: http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/om ... aug-28.zip

You can shoot while crawling... don't hold the down key.

Fixed to the best of my abilities everything I could that you mentioned in the last post.

Shots to Stun (values I have arbitrarily decided upon)

Devil: 4 shots; invincible when flaming
Jumping Slime: 1 shot; invincible when dormant
WingedBall: Invincible
Boot People: one shot to pop out of boot, second shot to stun
Snake Roller: 1 shot
Mad Runner: 1 shot, but only temporarily
Scorpion: 1 shot
Janitor Bird: 1 shot
BowShooter: 1 shot
WandGuard: 1 shot
BigMouth: 4 shots; only vulnerable when mouth open, and shot hits mouth
Green Bird: 1 shot
Green Sloth: 1 shot
Yoga Lizard: 1 shot to temporarily stop wind
Claw Walker: 3 shots; only the head is vulnerable (body is invincible)
Eye roller: 1 shot.

The sprites that keen interacts with (turtle, owl, scared bear, platforms) are all invincible because they will be necessary to transport the player place, and if they are stunned, the level would become uncompletable.

Slugs: Naked slug takes one shot. Breast plated slug takes 1 shot, but is invincible from the front (but not from the top). Helmeted slug takes a random number of shots for the helmet to fall off (usually 1-3; can be more, and shots are more effective coming from the top or the back).

Licks: One shot to stun. Helmet usually takes 1 shot (rarely 2).
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

Bump.

Since this appears dead, does anyone mind if I recycle a few graphics here for use in Atroxian Realm? Specifically a few point items and the level completion flag.