V2 project - Extra Tilesets

Completed patches for Keen1.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Odd... very odd. Try my latest KeenGraph, which should work. (It's import only.) It will create TLS files from any bitmap that has a TLSETxx.tli file (E.g 1BMP0003.bmp has TLSET03.TLI) If problems persist, I'd be interested in getting a copy of your bitmap and tileinfo file.

I have included a whole new folder in it outlining the tileset patch.

http://levellord.rewound.net/KeenGraph.zip
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Alrighty, I'll try that with a freshly extracted Keen 1. I'll have to convert my modkeen-based modded graphics across to yourformat and re-import them to a blank slate before trying with those, though.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Can't you import them with Modkeen then extract with Keengraph? (All unmasked bitmaps are the same format as Modkeen's)

Heck there's a thought, maybe I should make Keengraph compatible with modkeen style sprite graphics.
CommanderSpleen

levellass wrote:Can't you import them with Modkeen then extract with Keengraph?

Duh! E|8>

Edit: Sveeet. I think it's working, using KeenGraph. This is good.
CommanderSpleen

Hmm. Something's broken. TLS says this:

Code: Select all

Reading patchfile...Palette patch found...
Error getting values for patches!
The patch file is here.

It worked previously. But perhaps you've changed something in this new version I just downloaded, having misplaced the old one. Or else I've just done something tripsy.

Edit: Took out everything except the palette and multiple tileset patches and it works. Evidently it stumbles across something distasteful later on in the patch file.

I was having some other troubles, but it turned out to be corrupted tileinfo. Freshly exported, imported, KeenGraphed, and victory ist mein!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Requesting a Keen 2 version of this patch. I'd do myself, but I'm really annoyed that nobody is giving me time to complete *my* mod. Lemm?
lemm

Post by lemm »

A couple people have been asking for an easier to use version of the multi-tileset slope patch, since the current one is sort of hard to use, and the editors and what not is scattered in 20 different posts around this site and dropbox. I rounded everything up and put it all in one easier to use package with documentation about how stuff works, particularly the slopes.

In this package you can find the bare minimum to start a mod. I also put in the TLS editor (modified from adurdin's code), a Mindbelt version that Mink changed to allow 910 tiles, the newest CK1Patch, and the newest KeenGraph, just so everything is in one place. I would also strongly recommend using Dr K's tileset tool. (I didn't include it because there are a bunch of different builds).

There is a demo mod with one test level to play which should show off most of the features, particularly to do with slopes. If you are interested in using this for a mod, try it out. If something in the documentation is not clear or I have forgotten some utility, please also mention that. (If anyone wants to spend 15 minutes or so trying to jump through slopes, that would also be appreciated. Pretty sure they are fixed now).

Keen 1 Version

Levellass, I will make a keen2 and keen3 version shortly. I just want to make sure the keen1 version is correct first because I don't want to fix it three times =).
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hah, yeah.

Will this work ok with Modkeen's imported tiles in memory. (The 1TIL0000 bitmap.)?
lemm

Post by lemm »

Modkeen won't work
levellass

Post by levellass »

*Sigh* Thought not, well I'll just have to debug Keengraph then.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I played around with your test level lemm. the mound where the ! is (the one with the low ceiling) has indeed some interesting behaviour: running over it seems to work, when walking slowly you'll get stuck at the ceiling, and when trying to jump over it you sometimes fall through it.

Also how does the game determine which route to take?
I mean if you insert blocking tiles inside the mounds on the flat floor keen walks straight and not uphill until the blocking tile. do you need a non blocking tile below the foot of the hill to make the hill solid?
lemm

Post by lemm »

All the caveats are in the readme folder under the slope rules section in tilespec.txt. The exclamation points are things you shouldn't do.

Main points:

1) Sprites take the lower route if there are two possible elevations to walk along. THe one exception is the sprite is walking into a divot and there is a path beneath it:

\
_\/___

(example drawing)

A sprite walking right, down the divot would continue up the otherside of the divot even though there is a path beneath. (I wanted to make them always take the lower route but I guess they have a mind of their own).

2) You can't "squeeze" a sprite using a bottom sloping tile (as you found out) (too tricky to program)

3) You can't have sideways-pointing points or divots, but you can have vertical-pointing ones. (sideways ones too hard to do)

4) A slope has to start and end at a tile grid point, and all slopes have to be closed and bounded by straight edges.

In general, try to make "nice" slopes and it should work fine. If you start doing crazy things with different angles next to each other, it probably will act weird.
lemm

Post by lemm »

levellass wrote:Requesting a Keen 2 version of this patch. I'd do myself, but I'm really annoyed that nobody is giving me time to complete *my* mod. Lemm?
Keen 2 version done (keen1 version also updated)

Get It!
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Uhh... KeenGraph keeps giving me an "Out of memory!" error while importing 320x200 screens. Help!

EDIT: would someone mind making a version of Mindbelt that can handle this many tiles? It would need to accept ?TIL????.bmp instead of ?TIL0000.bmp.
lemm

Post by lemm »

The error just affects the finale screens, everything else is fine.

Look in the "util" folder for mindbeltext.