question about animations

Request patches for Keens 1-3.
Stealthy71088

question about animations

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I know its possible to change the animation sprite of anything that is animated. Is there anyway to animate something that isn't orginally animated? I want to animate Keen's standing position for 4 frames.

Using the patches

Code: Select all

%patch $39D4 56   #Keen facing right
%patch $39DC 56   #Keen facing left
I can make the picture used change.
levellass

Post by levellass »

At present, no, there is no way to do so. Unlike in Keen 4-6, Keen 1-3 controls a whole sprite with one image/animation, an animation takes up more space than a full image, and especially with Keen, are more complex.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

I have a different problem with animations. I want to give a Butler Robot more than four sprites for its walking animation. At first I tried five frames, but that didn't work (only two frames were used slowly). Now I try six frames. While the sprites are shown, the frames are played in odd order, e.g. before the next frame is used, the previous one is shown once more, so the Robot's movement looks awkward. The only thing that works right is the single standing frame. I use the following code:

#Butler
%patch $1DD6 86  #Walking right
%patch $1DDE 92  #Walking left
%patch $1DE8 5   #Frames used for both -1
%patch $1E87 30  #Turning
%patch $1E84 0   #Frames used
What do I do wrong? Or do I have to start with 8 sprites if I want to use more sprites for an animation that normally uses 4 sprites?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, you're right, the pattern seems to be:

Oddly, this pattern only seems to be a problem with 6 frames; at least for me, and I'm not entirely sure why. It seems to have to do with the way the game handles the animation loops. The only solution I can think of is to use the loop as a 6-frame 5-image loop. If you need more animation space (Gosh, 8 frames seems to work!) then KeenGraph is capable of adding extra frames to Keen's sprite data, and you can use those.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks. Okay, I'm also fine with four frames.

Another question, is there any chance to change the animation speed of the Tank Robot when it moves? It's so fast that it limits the options for the sprites you can use when you want them to be friendly on the eyes.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Sadly I'm not sure on that one. The Tank bot's animation is set up differently from other sprites, but when it is patched to be like them, nothing happens. (Which tells me the animation speed is being set by something else.) This patch however should doubble it's animation speed. (Slow it down.)

#Slow down Tank bot animation
%patch $1ED2 $02

It think it may be that the Tank bot animates faster than $01 (Using the usual format) so it needs a special piece of code. I hope this helps, but this sounds like a Lemm job.