Unofficialization: tiles

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

That does look a bit nicer. I'd messed around with a highlight for a short while, but it ended up looking too shiny.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Improvements:

Another shot at the water.

Not as basic as before, but it's still not quite right to me.

Aaaand the improved wood, which I'm much happier with. Of course, now the grass seems a little too bright compared to everything else. ;p

Also, any ideas you have for tiles are helpful. I've got some thoughts for stuff like a treetop theme and some solid clouds (for a secret level, perhaps), but more are always good, especially small pieces of eyecandy.
levellass

Post by levellass »

How does your water use only three animation frames?

Update:

CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Too much white. I much prefer the old version.

The main problem with the water is it looks more like an ocean background than a lake obstacle. That may not be so in the game, but my suggestion is to make the highlight only a few pixels high, rather than an entire tile.

Also, the bright grass looks fine. It gives it a bit of that much needed oldschool arcade feel.
Last edited by CommanderSpleen on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Primarily by not being animated. It's something I'll tackle later, but I'm mostly just getting the basics down at the moment.

Made some revisions to the bridge post to match the new wood and darkened up the grass a bit, which I'll upload sometime later.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

levellass wrote:Update: [tileset]
Am I the only one not seeing any changes here?
grafix

Post by grafix »

I'm assuming that it's because she's updated the image that she first uploaded, and linked to it again it that post.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Never mind, just needed to flush my cache.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yeah; it's a dynamic picture; I can edit it while it's still posted, that can cause problems for those who have loaded the page, but it's more convenient to me.
Scizor CT

Post by Scizor CT »

Given that my time is currently devoted to life (and uh, WoW) I haven't actually gotten anything else drawn lately.

So please, someone else make some stuff. I really don't want to see this die off again.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I think you might be able to improve the bridge simply by lowering the water level.

The height of the water makes it look like it is extending 20 miles into the horizon.