Tile Submission Thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
CommanderSpleen

Tile Submission Thread

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Use this thread to submit tiles to be considered for merging into the project's canon. I'll look after the tileset and keep the current one posted here.

Notes:

1) Please try to post only the tiles you are contributing/modifying instead of the entire tileset. This will save some confusion. I'll add them and tweak the tileinfo so we have one official version instead of multiple conflicting ones.

2) Remember to post the images using a lossless format. GIF or PNG is preferable. Using a lossy format like JPG will cause pixel distortion, resulting in unusable graphics.

Current Tileset

Download 1til0000.bmp
Download tileinfo (black.tli)

Previous Permutations (PNG Format)
2009-04-01
2009-04-02
2009-04-06

And my first contribution to the tiles thread:

This is an improvement of the grass tiles based on the style I've evolved for my own mods. They need decent dirt and grass patterns to finish the job. Perhaps the overhanging grass could do with some modification to make it more generic, but it's not terribly important.
Last edited by CommanderSpleen on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Looking good, I'll try and work a bit on those grass tiles, and see if I can incorporate the tree face found in an old thread here.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Looks nice so far. Will we be utilizing any of the tiles from the old thread? I really like that bridge.
Bonevelous

Post by Bonevelous »

I updated it with a exit sign...

I didn't know what I am supposed to change. I just assumed I can change the white tiles. I know I'm not changing the already changed tiles. What about the ones that were left alone?
Last edited by Bonevelous on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CommanderSpleen

Just submit a separate imge containing the tiles you want to have added. If they intend to modify anything, specify which tiles. From there I'll sort it out and keep the official tileset organised.
Bonevelous

Post by Bonevelous »

CommanderSpleen wrote:Just submit a separate imge containing the tiles you want to have added. If they intend to modify anything, specify which tiles. From there I'll sort it out and keep the official tileset organised.
Ok.

That makes life easier.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

I have this in my Keen file. I know it was related to the community mod, however I don't recall if I was the one who drew it or if it's someone else's work.

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Yeah I was talking about those trees, also I think we should add the bridge tiles again:

Bonevelous

Post by Bonevelous »

I made an item!

It was going to be simpler, but I decided to make it more complex myself.

Edit: I also improved my sign a little bit.

Not much of a change, but looks much better.
Last edited by Bonevelous on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I like that item.

I tried fiddling with that grass block but I'm not totally happy.

I apologize that I uploaded the whole tileset, but I did it before I was reading the update by Spleen.

CommanderSpleen

I apologize that I uploaded the whole tileset, but I did it before I was reading the update by Spleen.
Indeed. The original post has now been updated with a message regarding this.

I'll fit these new tiles in shortly, and upload a corresponding tileinfo. That way they can be used directly instead of waiting for a full update. Nice to see those old tiles again!

IMKO, the exit signs don't quite suit the theme yet. I envision something more akin to the wooden signs from Keen 4. However, I'll put them in for the time being. Perhaps this style could be used for an exit that takes place in an indoor/cave setting? (Just my opinion, feel free to oppose it if you see fit.)

I do like that item, especially the way it blends into the different themes.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Another berry for the trees.

I feel the same about these exit signs, a wooden sign would fit best.
Bonevelous

Post by Bonevelous »

CommanderSpleen wrote:IMKO, the exit signs don't quite suit the theme yet. I envision something more akin to the wooden signs from Keen 4. However, I'll put them in for the time being. Perhaps this style could be used for an exit that takes place in an indoor/cave setting? (Just my opinion, feel free to oppose it if you see fit.)
I feel the same about these exit signs, a wooden sign would fit best.
So you want it wooden?

Your wish came true. ;)

Edit: nice item, btw, Tulip. I like how it fits into the shading so well.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I added some additions to the three grasses, so that lines of grass terminate more nicely when they hit walls.

CommanderSpleen

Updated again.

Levellass, your tiles were left out because the image is in JPG format, causing significant loss of detail. A new note has been added to the original post about this.

I'm not quite sure how they're meant to work, but I think I get the idea. I'll try just copying the outines and experimenting with them.