Keen:Next - How can I play my selfmade map?

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
KeithHaring

Keen:Next - How can I play my selfmade map?

Post by KeithHaring »

Hey guys.. i created a real cool map with kenn:next but i don't know how to play it...
Exporting maps to KeenX:

Select "Export Keen map" from the "File" menu, chose the maphead.ckX. This saves the map to the specified maphead.ckX and editmaps.ckX.

IMPORTANT: when exporting and importing, always select the extracted
maphead.ckX in the dialog!
I didn't find any maphead.ck4 or maphead.ck5 ... :(
levellass

Post by levellass »

KeenNext is good, but I still prefer good ol' Ted5. :)

For this you will need to download Tedsetup, used to extract files from Keen for Ted5,, CK5PATCH and possibly UNLZEXE if you haven't decompressed the Keen executable.

First decompress the EXE if you haven't already done so, this is done by dragging and dropping KEEN5E.EXE onto UNLZEXE.EXE, the file KEEN5E.OLZ should be created (This is your old file, kept as backup.)

Next run tedsetup, this will automatically extract and create several files, including your maphead and a patch file to use that maphead.

Export your level using the maphead.

Edit the file PAt.PAT (or something like it, I forget the exact name.) It is a text file and will contain some nonsense about 'custmaps' which can be deleted. You only need the maphead patchfile line.

The file Go5.BAT will be the file to run to use your level (Or else you will get the error 'Map too tall!' when starting a new game.)

Your level should work, enjoy! And do post it here so others may enjoy it! (And always remember; check your levels constantly when making them, a fatal mistake made early on can ruin a whole level if you don't know you've made it!)