Keen:Next - Import tiles from ModKeen (solution)

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
leandrotlz

Keen:Next - Import tiles from ModKeen (solution)

Post by leandrotlz »

I made a small program to convert KeenMod's ?TIL0000.BMP and ?TIL0001.BMP into a ?TILES.TGA file that you can use in the Keen: Next editor. KeenMod does not appear to have an easy way to import modified tiles into the editor (I looked) so I created this program to do it. I made it using VB6 for Windows, so it should work fine under Linux with WINE, but I haven't tested it.

To use it, just run KNTILES.EXE in the same folder as your ?TIL000?.BMP files. It will detect which ones are present, and create ?TILES.TGA for every episode it finds.

Once you have your ?TILES.TGA file, open Keen: Next and select New from the File menu. Give the map any size and any title, and browse for your ?TILES.TGA in the "Image file" box. Check the "Keen project" box and select which episode the tiles are for, then click OK. The tiles will load and be ready to use.

You can now select "Import Keen Map" from the File menu to load a map from Keen, or start one from scratch.

Download link: <removed, see below>
Last edited by leandrotlz on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaah VB6, is there nothing it cannot do?

Nifty, I like it.
leandrotlz

Post by leandrotlz »

Grafix kindly gave me an account in in files.commanderkeen.org so I uploaded kntiles in there, with its VB6 source code in case someone wants to port it to pure DOS (I tried doing it in QuickBasic, but I kept on getting an "out of stack space" error).

So, forget about MegaUpload, direct download is at:
http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/le ... ntiles.zip
levellass

Post by levellass »

I shall try to port it; my VB and QB skills are rudimentary (To say the least.) but the source makes sense, so it's worth a try.