keen3 level pack

Showcase your completed mod here!
shikadi

keen3 level pack

Post by shikadi »

http://www.savefile.com/download/137397 ... 7f6bd6b44e

i maked some levels using mindbelt , i don't know that this levels are good , but i think they to easy , hints to make it better are welcome , i also have 2 questions

1.how can i let teleporters on the map let work
2.how can i let some levels block , so you need to done the

(o yes , i m new on this forum)
Last edited by shikadi on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

You can make a level unpassable by adding an asterisk (*) after the level number. For example, if you want a level to be unpassable towards the right (you enter from the left) you'd set it up like this:

Code: Select all

2  | 2*
2  | 2*
Keep in mind that Keen could not enter this level from the right side at all--make sure that you playtest! :)
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Alright, I downloaded and played this--good work! :) I'm gonna give you my feedback level by level.

Level01: This felt a LOT like the first level of Keen2. Good exposition, layout, and introductory feel. A bit square for an "outdoor" environment.

Level02: Captured the Keen3 building feel quite well, but I am definitely not a fan of the red herring. Nice work in giving the buildings the same claustrophobic feeling of the original. :)

Level03: Fantastic. I really like the pacing and the "optional" nature of the Vortininjas.

Level04: This level reminded me of Fort Vorta Bella (level11 from the original Keen3) but with some parts easier and some parts harder. The addition of the blue key makes this one tricky at first, but I appreciate the "safe" places we get to hide from the gunfire. What is "TOXER WOY," by the way? :)

Level05: Looks like this took inspiration from The Bonks (level06 from the original Keen3) but this is shorter. I like the look and feel, because it fits in with Vorticon canon, but it's a bit too brief. You could do more, here. :)

Level06: This one actually reminded me of Home A (level08 in Keen2) with its layout. In fact, looking at the two maps side by side, it's pretty clear-cut. ;) Good homage, plagarized or otherwise.

Level07: I'm not sure what to say... I really did not enjoy this level. It captured the cave feel of Keen3 pretty well, but I felt that the space was used poorly, and there was no flow to the gameplay, the way the other levels had.

Level14: Cool B-w-B level. :) You should look into modding, so you can have your own version, here.

Level15: A solid challenge for a penultimate level. I can't say playing Jack-in-the-Box with the second Vortininja was fun (at all) but the rest of the level's layout lent itself to a fair bit of tension. You could probably get away with half the number of enemies here--or maybe you could put some Ankhs in the level. Use all the resources of the game, when you make custom levels!!

Level16: Wow, this is hard. I'd be completely satisfied with it if it either 1) got rid of both the Moms and the Meeps, or 2) got rid of the timed laser shots. Having all the dangers at once is a bit of sensory overload, and I found it difficult to focus on one while dancing around the other. Limiting the dangerous options, or even separating them a bit more, would help the flow of this level.

In general, your levels are very well put together--you take structural basics from Keen3 and expand on them, which gives the entire level pack a familiar feel. Nice work!

In general, you have a bit more vertical trouble than I'd like to see--either a blind drop down onto a Vorticon who's just standing there, or a pogo jump up into the feet of a Vortininja... both are bad news for a player. When you playtest, remember that a new player won't know that there's an enemy down there on the left; they just see a pit, and points on the left. They'll probably fall that way, in hopes that you won't guide them to their doom. :)

Great work; I think you should look into full-on modding!!
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

XkyRauh wrote: Level04: This level reminded me of Fort Vorta Bella (level11 from the original Keen3) but with some parts easier and some parts harder. The addition of the blue key makes this one tricky at first, but I appreciate the "safe" places we get to hide from the gunfire. What is "TOXER WOY," by the way? :) i think the x must be a w and the y must be a x (i want to set tower voxl

Level15: A solid challenge for a penultimate level. I can't say playing Jack-in-the-Box with the second Vortininja was fun (at all) but the rest of the level's layout lent itself to a fair bit of tension. You could probably get away with half the number of enemies here--or maybe you could put some Ankhs in the level. Use all the resources of the game, when you make custom levels!!you only have to kill 2 ninjas all other can be walk under or jump over

Level16: Wow, this is hard. I'd be completely satisfied with it if it either 1) got rid of both the Moms and the Meeps, or 2) got rid of the timed laser shots. Having all the dangers at once is a bit of sensory overload, and I found it difficult to focus on one while dancing around the other. Limiting the dangerous options, or even separating them a bit more, would help the flow of this level.
i think i never putted a meep\mom together with a laser , this level was made o be the final level , and be larger and harder then the "real" one
In general, your levels are very well put together--you take structural basics from Keen3 and expand on them, which gives the entire level pack a familiar feel. Nice work!

Great work; I think you should look into full-on modding!!
i m very new at moddig , where must i add the asterisk?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Xky: Mindbelt doesn't do adding *s to sprites (Or at least it didn't when I got it.)

Shik: This file explains how Keen 3 teleporters work, they're reasonably complex. http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/Index/K ... orters.txt (Nice to see another dutchman on the forums as well; Keen seems to attract quite a few)
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

Ooh, you're right: Rather than going with stars, you'll have to add 32,768 to your level numbers!

So using the above example, with level 2, you put the sprites for the part of the level you want Keen to be able to walk over on the map as just plain old "2," but the blocking parts need to be (2+32768) = 32770.

You map should look like this, in mindbelt:

Code: Select all

2  | 32770
2  | 32770
That'll require Keen to enter that level from the left side, so he can unblock a path headed to the right. :)
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

so i need to change a sprite number?

i added a "secret level" to the level pack , who will find it , and complete it?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

That's the slow way, yes. Take a look at the origional map to get some idea of what's needed.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Back to the level pack: I enjoyed it!

Like Xky said, it seemed to have its roots in 'classic' Keen 3 levels. I probably had more trouble with the levels than I should because somehow I was lulled into my 'autopilot' mode, which would work for a while, then *blam* VORTININJA.

Again, this is nice stuff. Several places could have used some polishing, but nevertheless I look forward to more levels (and possibly a mod) from you in the future!
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

ty

i have renew level 07 and added something in level 06 , and added the blocking things

somebody want to speedrun it now XD
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Gaaarg, seems I've got locked out and thus didn't even notice this topic! Sounds cool, going to play it tomorrow. :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ok, it's now day after tomorrow, but I forgot. :o But I can't run it!! I get the message of the past, "Out of memory! Try unloading your TSRs!", never before have I got that in DosBox too. :( It won't start! What to do?
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

That should be impossible since none of the graphics were changed. Does the original Keen 3 work? If so, just copy in the levels and you should be fine.

If it is the levels causing the problem, congratulations, you've found a whole new type of error!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, works now! I didn't notice the thing didn't include grahic files, as it included the exe I didn't even think of checking out if all the other files were there too... Seems Keen gives that as an error message if the graphic files are missing. :)

Edit: Great level pack! Haven't played many Keen 3 level packs (at the moment can't remember any at all), it's nice to see someone has made one for this episode as well. Good stuff. Creative idea to place the shooter sprite on those photographer vorticons. :)
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

still nobody found the secret lvl?

i give a hint for it:look at the world map in the editor