Modkeen overwriting my PAT file

ModKeen mods Tiles and Sprites in all episodes of Commander Keen.
Carsten

Modkeen overwriting my PAT file

Post by Carsten »

After importing graphics with Modkeen, it actually overwrote my patch file with

Code: Select all

%ext ck5
%version 1.4
# Load the modified graphics
%egahead EGAHEAD.CK5
%end
Well, I lost all my patches, why thank you Oo Did I do something wrong or is this a misbehaviour? As a precaution measure, I am going to rename my patch file from KEEN5.PAT to somethingelse.PAT; no matter, this should be fixed I guess...
Gridlock

Post by Gridlock »

Yep, just change the patch file name and you shouldn't have any more problems. Modkeen produces a (I think) new Keen5.pat every time you run it. I suggest just renaming it to Patch5.pat. That should prevent Modkeen from overwriting it.
levellass

Post by levellass »

This is why I asked about Keengraph and what it should do when looking at patch files. It's current strategy is to only write a patch file when told to and to add patches if the file already exists and doesn't have them.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess the most convenient behaviour would be if the tool asked if one wishes to automatically have the patch file modified (have the necessary patches ADDED to the CURRENT ones, making this also default option), or if the user wishes to do that manually. And if the tools modifies the patch file, it should also create a backup.
levellass

Post by levellass »

That sounds very sensible. I think I shall make it Keengraph's default option.