New Musics

A catch-all of miscellaneous Keen:Modding utilities.
Alopex

New Musics

Post by Alopex »

Hello, guys!

I'm experiencing a very annoying problem: I'm trying to create new musics for my mod, but I can't execute IMF Creator because the antivirus detects it as a trojan virus.

Is there any other tool that I can use in order to create new musics? Or is there somebody in the Keen community who could compose music for modders?
Nisaba

Re: New Musics

Post by Nisaba »

the IMF Creator is more or less for converting MIDI files into IMF files (which the Keen games requires). you could instead use this tool over here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/MIDI2IMF

for composing songs there are many MIDI music programs out there. I know that some people over here use FLStudio for eg. but you can choose whatever program you are comfortable with. after you've composed your track, you just need to convert it into the IMF format with the tool mentioned above. make also sure to read the tutorials music section.

also: from time to time there are some musicians around...
Alopex

Post by Alopex »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:50 am also: from time to time there are some musicians around...
Really? What are their names?
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

Alopex wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 am
Nisaba wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:50 am also: from time to time there are some musicians around...
Really? What are their names?
Gridlock
Gamebird
_mr_m_ (aka the Vortimaestro)
Levellass has a secret composer, too.

I fancy myself a musician, but I'm still working on getting my tracks to MIDI/IMF. I took a stab at it last week but failed miserably to control the volume of the various Midi tracks.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I have a program for adjusting the volume of IMF files, I needed it because some of my tracks were too loud. Also, get songs from lots of people. One of the nicest is Bjorn Lynne, but I only used existing stuff with permission, he's rather professional and doesn't write out tunes for modders.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

wait a sec. you've got a program for adjusting the volume of IMF files?!
I-JUST-NEED-TO-HAVE-THAT!!!
got some way to low pitched tunes which I like to tweak a little. so please share this long wanted utility with the community. man, this is some awesome news!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yykv0xy1legrx ... L.zip?dl=0

It was mainly meant to make IMFs quieter, when you make them louder there's a risk of hitting a 'volume ceiling' where the loudest tracks can't get any louder and the tone of the song changes.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

thanks, gonna check things soon.
is this a personal or a public link? meaning: am I allowed to update the Wiki by creating a page for this tool?!

EDIT:
indeed, I'm hitting the volume ceiling at some points. since you've written that tool, would you mind looking into one .IMF file and give some suggestions on how to manually turn up the volume for single tones and tracks?! (say, there are four tracks and I just want to adjust three of them but leave the fourth untouched...) would be so helpful!
levellass

Post by levellass »

If you want I can try and make a tool that just adjusts one track at a time, it'd be quite similar only you'd enter a track number to adjust as well.

All my links are public, though not guaranteed to be stable in the long term.
Nisaba

Post by Nisaba »

if you could, it'd be so helpful. please do so.
this way around we could try to upgrade Mr. M's songs, which are all beautifully composed but unfortunately way to quiet.

would it be it helpful if I'm sending you an example tune?!