New Camoto version (v1.2 / 2015-02-21)

A catch-all of miscellaneous Keen:Modding utilities.
Malvineous

New Camoto version (v1.2 / 2015-02-21)

Post by Malvineous »

Hi all,

I realise this is technically off-topic as Camoto doesn't edit Commander Keen (yet) but I hope it's of enough interest that you will excuse me :-)

I just wanted to mention that I have released an updated Windows version of Camoto (v1.2 / 2015-02-21 installer here) for anyone who is interested.

This is going to be the last release for a while, as I am planning to restructure the libraries (to make use of C++11/14) and then rewrite the GUI using GTK+ instead of wxWidgets, so I'm hoping the next version will be significantly improved.

Please be aware that there are a few issues with this new release (apart from the usual hit-and-miss editing due to partially reverse engineered games missing crucial information.) The music player now plays audio but it seems to be delayed by 1-2 seconds. I don't know if this is because I'm running it under a VM or because it's a bug in PortAudio, because the sync is spot on under Linux. Likewise some tilesets won't display due to an unsupported OpenGL feature, but I don't know whether this is because the VM I'm using doesn't support OpenGL that well. Again it works fine under Linux, and it's something I'm hoping the GTK+ switch will eventually fix. Feedback on this would be welcomed.

I've started a to-do list to help keep track of everything that still needs to be implemented, so please feel free to add things to it if you try it out and find something that's incomplete. (You can use the GitHub bug trackers to report bugs too - you might need a GitHub account for all this though.) And of course assistance with reverse engineering the missing information so that games can be fully edited is always extremely welcome!

Otherwise, I hope you find it useful - and apologies if the game you want to edit doesn't work yet - hopefully with a bit of help we'll get there one day!
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

Aw man! Super cool, Malvineous! I shall report back here with any notable findings. Thank you!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Awesomesauce.
troublesomekeen

Finally got the thing to open up Hocus Pocus. I don't know what I was doing wrong before. But it works! Uh... How do I scroll around the level?
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

When I downloaded, it was unsuccessful for some net reasons.

It should have a mirror link.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

I've created some instructions to help explain the map editor a bit - see Getting Started with Camoto Studio.

I'm not sure a mirror would help - if your browser won't let you download .exe files I don't think it matters where they come from!
troublesomekeen

Ohhhh I see what was the matter. My laptop touchpad has no middle mouse button, but I do have a mouse. In a box.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Malvineous wrote:I've created some instructions to help explain the map editor a bit - see Getting Started with Camoto Studio.

I'm not sure a mirror would help - if your browser won't let you download .exe files I don't think it matters where they come from!
Mirror would help as from mediafire I can download as well as dropbox, 4shared, etc.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

There's an alternate download available on the Camoto Studio GitHub releases page, perhaps that will work then?