KeenWave 0.5

A catch-all of miscellaneous Keen:Modding utilities.
levellass

KeenWave 0.5

Post by levellass »

Decided to release a beta of the program, since my injured hand is slowing my progress. Get it here: http://levellord.rewound.net/IDWAVE.zip (Careful now, it's over a MB which uses up my bandwidth quickly!)

* Comes with a Keen 4 setup allowing you to replace sounds
* Comes with an adlib sound player and folder of sounds from various games
* Here's a tutorial for it!: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/KeenWave

* Does not yet support all games I want it to.
* Does not work well with wave files
* At present for 4-6 works only with raw data files.

I reccommend reading the tutorial. This is only a beta, but it should suffice for our Keen 4-6 modders. Also, I need tips on what to add\delete\explain on that tutorial page, it's a beta too.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Mirror to help out then since I have unlimited bandwidth.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Excellent, hopefully this means I will be able to move away from the rather horrid WDC which I've used in my previous modding endeavors. Is it really necessary to include all the sounds already extracted, though? Can't the program extract them already? (And it would cut down on the bandwidth, too, although I guess that's not really an issue thanks to Malv). It looks to work fairly well now, but I may have some suggestions later after I actually put it through its paces.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well it was requested I put in some extracted files, they're not any larger than the unextracted AUDIO files and not everyone has all of those games. The final release will not have them, the only reason I released this was that I had been repeatedly asked to and someone wanted a Keen 4 setup.

Suggestions are always welcome, it's only very basically functional at the moment so there's plenty of room for improvement.
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

Hope your hand gets better. :)
lemm

Post by lemm »

Lass,

I forgot to include a patch for the addition of new songs in Keen Galaxy. There's a place that you have to patch in the total number of songs. This might have been the reason why Keen 9 was getting all those Insufficient Memory errors. It seems to have helped dramatically for Atroxian Realm so far.

Patches that you need to include for KeenWave are:

Code: Select all

%patch $8C91 6      #Keen 4
%patch $8C0D 14    #Keen 5
%patch $8A75 9      #Keen 6
levellass

Post by levellass »

Awesome; any details on how those work? (That is, WHY they are needed?) the code seems a bit opaque to me.

Also, is there enough music code in Keen Dreams to play music do you think?
lemm

Post by lemm »

The latest patch I added is found in the "stop music" subroutine. Along with stopping the music, this subroutine ensures that all songs are uncached before it returns.

The patch is the end condition of a for loop:

For i = 1 to songnum
     call uncache_song        ' if song is not cached, then uncache_song does nothing
Next i

As you can see, if you don't increase the song number to accommodate your new audio file, then the higher number songs won't ever be uncached, and you get a memory leak and eventually the game quits because it runs out of memory.

You should definitely put this in the BOTB revision.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Once again thankyou Lemm, I knew there was a memory leak, but could never find out why. (In retrospect I really should have looked for that, but I was looking for a loop that dealt with chunks x - y, not song numbers.)
Flyingmouse

Post by Flyingmouse »

Extracting 63  sounds from SOUNDS.CK3...Tried to write to a file in a bad place!

A FATAL ERROR HAS OCCURRED!
Erroor: 63 at 15
This constantly pops up when I try extracting from a Keen 3 executable- it seems to be the third sound that's causing the problem. I'm using this line:

KEENWAVE.EXE -episode=3 -export=bmp -snddir="SND"
EDIT: NVM, fixed.
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

Hey! I just got KeenWave to compile on xubuntu 14.04 x86_64 using FreeBASIC

@Lass Can I get the latest source .bas file from you? :3
The version I compiled reports to be v5.0 in the source. I think it's the one from LLord's site and there's a newer one, right?
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

If you can run Abiathar on Linux, you won't need KeenWave for long :P
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

Fleexy wrote:If you can run Abiathar on Linux, you won't need KeenWave for long :P
Still... it's nice to have it run natively, and I can drop the binary in /usr/local/bin and run keenwave anywhere from the cli for quick audio tweaks ;D
Edit:
I'm having to tweak the file paths though, stupid difference between / and \ directory listings ^_^

Also I'm not getting sound playback so it's gonna need some work to make it run exactly the same, but file operations seem to work ok.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I myself support the Abiathar, it is very solid and well done. The latest source I think is this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... enWave.bas
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

I also heartily support Abiathar, speaking of it, how's the sound integration coming?

Thanks for the file Lass, I'll see how that version compiles.