KeenGraph 2.2

KeenGraph is a ModKeen alternative with extra features for Keen:Vorticons.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmmn... strange. Very, VERY strange indeed. Can you send me a copy of your setup? This needs some serious poking.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

btw. can Keengraph save the sprite bitmaps in the same manner as modkeen? (I mean without the automatic masking you invented) Because mindbelt isn't really comfy with your format and well, I'd like to use keengraph because it can handle lemm-era stuff.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

I haven't had any trouble using KeenGraph and Mindbelt together. Unless the shrunken sprites that make non-map mode useless is actually a symptom of this...
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well I was working on this, but I have been informed that Mindbelt will be made compatible, so I don't have to. Unless I am informed otherwise then, I shall not be working on this as yet.

I personally just have some old Keen 1 graphics in the graphics folder and alter the ep.dat file to use them, so I can see my sprites. It's a tiny bit of extra effort, but it does for me.
CommanderSpleen

Mask support would be good in some future version (preferably optional). So you can do those nifty effects with non-black masks.
levellass

Post by levellass »

You can do them in KG too, using translucent colors.
CommanderSpleen

Care to make the code available? I've got QB64 running under Linux.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Nope. I'm going to port it to FreeBASIC -qb which allows me to do things much more efficiently. I may need your help later in seeing if the 'Linux' executables I'm making really work.
CommanderSpleen

Yep, keep me posted. I'll be all over that.
CommanderSpleen

Two things in this FreeBASIC version that have been really screwing me around.

It doesn't seem to check the height on the 1BMPxxxx.BMP files. I can get away with accidentally making one 6 pixels high, corrupting the tileset.

1BMP files (not sure about 2 and 3, but I would assume the same thing) need to be multiples of 16 wide, not just 8. At least some of them, anyway. Think I got away with 8 on a few. No pattern has emerged thus far.

Also... I don't know if this is a KeenGraph issue or not, but I've found putting an image larger than 88x88 in 1BMP0011.BMP will similarly corrupt the tileset, but putting the same image in 1BMP0009.BMP won't.
Draik

Post by Draik »

oman that's what was screwing up my tileset
levellass

Post by levellass »

Tell me about it, same thing's been happening with me and modkeen (It gives an error, but doesn't actually STOP.)
It doesn't seem to check the height on the 1BMPxxxx.BMP files. I can get away with accidentally making one 6 pixels high, corrupting the tileset.
SIX pixels wide? It most definitely shouldn't let you make one SIX pixels wide. Did you mean 8? It should check that graphic width is divisible by 8.
1BMP files (not sure about 2 and 3, but I would assume the same thing) need to be multiples of 16 wide, not just 8. At least some of them, anyway. Think I got away with 8 on a few. No pattern has emerged thus far.
I have been running on the assumption, gleaned from game code, that all graphics must divide into bytes of EGA data, meaning that images must divide by 8 (Sprite images thus dividing by 16 in KG and 24 in MK) This *should* be correct. If there is an error, it is likely something in my code (Such as when it didn't handle 'exotic' bitmap types.) I suggest you send me some graphics that are corrupt where you have something divisible by 8 (Or six, so long as you can successfully import it.) It could also be an issue with the LATCH plan size (Must divide by 16, and I have a check for this.)
Also... I don't know if this is a KeenGraph issue or not, but I've found putting an image larger than 88x88 in 1BMP0011.BMP will similarly corrupt the tileset, but putting the same image in 1BMP0009.BMP won't.
Starting to sound like a code issue, I most definitely think you should send me examples of such graphics. I can then iron out the bugs in a day or two.
CommanderSpleen

levellass wrote:SIX pixels wide?
High. It catches the non-8 multiple width. Not height.

I've worked around the bugs for now. I'll send the problematic graphics ASAP, but probably not before the mod is finished.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Odd, height shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm almost definite it's a bug with my code somewhere. (I just found one for Dave 2 where I made all the egaplanes the same, giving monochrome graphics!)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Just thought I'd post a minor update. Keengraph can now extract\import the DOS screens form Keen 1-7 (including dreams.) These are not the ones in EGAGRAPH (which can be exported\imported easily enough) but the ones in the Keen executable which need patching. It also has an option for just extracting 4-6 'headers' (the first few rows of the DOS screen giving the episode title) as used by KScreen.

In fact it will extract the executable DOS screen from any game using the EGAGRAPH format (So say, Biomenace.) and comes with KScreen and THEDRAW to edit screens with.

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/KEENGRAPH.zip