Keen:Next bug with placing 'action' thingys

Utilities for editing Keen:Galaxy and Keen:Dreams levels.
Bernie

Keen:Next bug with placing 'action' thingys

Post by Bernie »

I mentioned this is another thread but thought i might aswell ask if anyone knows any way around it.

I can't seem to place an action on the outer rim of the map. why? is it like that with other editors? (I don't know how to add actions in those TED style editors- and besides my maps dont load in those editors).

thanks.
levellass

Post by levellass »

1.) No, in TED5 and TOM you can place infloplane values anywhere you like.

2.) Give my your gamemaps and maphead and I can create a working version of your maps for any editor.

I strongly suggest TOM as a versatile (If occasionally crashing, but hey, 'save' is one letter, namely 'S' away, so that's no excuse.) editor.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

levellass wrote: 2.) Give my your gamemaps and maphead and I can create a working version of your maps for any editor.
serious? geez, thats really helpful of you levellass. would you like me to send you money for all your help you've given me? im talking mighty australian dollars here.

so heres my gamemaps and maphead files:
https://hotfile.com/dl/181404819/93d839 ... S.CK4.html
https://hotfile.com/dl/181405150/af3cc0 ... D.CK4.html

I strongly suggest TOM as a versatile (If occasionally crashing, but hey, 'save' is one letter, namely 'S' away, so that's no excuse.) editor.
oh thats okay, keen:next is buggy anyway. im used to it ;) but TOM is pretty much just a windows version of TED right? looks like it.

PS But you know, to be honest, and i talked about this with you in another thread, it'd be much better if there was a way to stop that miragia inspired keygem door patch from copying across/pasting over infoplane values. cause thats my central problem really. but if its too much of a pain in the ass i dont mean to bother you with it :p you've helped me plenty. just, you know... saying.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I cannot download the second file, hotfile forbids me from doing so. You may want to invest in dropbox or ziip your files into one next time.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

yeah i havent used these supposedly free storage sites very much.

heres a zipped version of the two files. lets see if it works:

https://hotfile.com/dl/181573691/304b29 ... d.zip.html
levellass

Post by levellass »

Like I said, dropbox is free and has a public folder you can link to any files you put in there, as an example here is a link to your processed maps: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/BernieTOM.zip

The folder 'TED5' contains maps compatible with TED5, the original map editor, though I doubt you will need to use it. The gamemaps and maphead files in the main folder will work with all other editors.

The problem is that Keen:Next doesn't compress (carmackize) the levels at all; this means that other editors have a hard time loading them, as they expect compression.

I included Keengraph TOM and two bitmaps with the levels too, just in case. (Though you may well be using Modkeen.)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

thanks for that levellass but uh... it didnt work :/ i load the maps in the 'Main' directory that you supplied and it was just the ordinary keen4. But in Tom i opened up my keen:next editmaps file, i think it was, and it worked! though theres no graphics anywhere :/

and about dropbox- the reason why i havent gotten it yet cause its like a 20 meg download and im on dialup internet here. but hey ill give it a go anyway. my internet is slow, but its a fighter. :D plus a public folder thingy sounds rather cool.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Really? How very odd. I wonder how that happened. May be best to start over in TOM then, how much of your levels did you have done?

Dropbox served me well on dialup, especially since large files over a poor connection would just tick and tick and tick until they finally uplaoded. It can also be used for real-time demonstrations of modding or patch fixing and collaborative projects. (Via the not-so-public shared folders.)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

May be best to start over in TOM then, how much of your levels did you have done?
lol, good one. i have about 15 ordinary levels mostly complete. so yeah, no going back.

and hey i have dropbox now! i actually downloaded the thing. dont know how to use it though. and btw, just now someone added three images to my dropbox folder. this seems kinda dodgey :/

and PS i should maybe contact the dude who made Keen:next and ask what the deal is with that bug. but then again TOM has an option to import keen:next files anyway, so i should just use that probly.
Mink

Post by Mink »

Bernie wrote:and PS i should maybe contact the dude who made Keen:next and ask what the deal is with that bug. but then again TOM has an option to import keen:next files anyway, so i should just use that probly.
Z-1 hasn't been around in ... forever, I don't think -- I wouldn't even know how to go about getting in touch with him.

As a bonus incentive, TOM has a Keen:Next mode (found in the settings menu) that you might like.

And you already have fifteen levels done? Oh man, I can't wait.
levellass

Post by levellass »

The files may simply be default files added by dropbox for show. What are their names? If regular adding of files to your dropbox without you putting them there occurs, then you may have a problem indeed.

Also hmmmn, it seems you gamemaps and maphead got confuzzled by me somewhere, do you have a link for them again?
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

As a bonus incentive, TOM has a Keen:Next mode (found in the settings menu) that you might like.
Yeah I know about it, and I actually tried it out today- so i did a few changes in TOM, saved the level, and then when i try to open it up back in keen:next it gives me an error :/ so either i can't take them back into keen:next or it corrupts my files. and i wouldn't mind if i can't take them back into keen:next, but for some reason in TOM it doesn't load any graphics! its just one thing after another with all this bullshit :p
<3 computers.

And you already have fifteen levels done? Oh man, I can't wait.
oh man you have no idea how great they are. this is a very very big deal.

The files may simply be default files added by dropbox for show.
oh yes they were. i just like sounding dramatic :) but seriously, its kinda dodgey. im sure hackers can get into my computer so much easier now through this. i dont trust that whole 'cloud' thing.

Also hmmmn, it seems you gamemaps and maphead got confuzzled by me somewhere, do you have a link for them again?
does that previous hotfile.com link i posted still work? also i added the zip of my two files into my dropbox folder. i hope this link works:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkqc47hdxb5k9 ... head.zip?m
levellass

Post by levellass »

*Pokes*

*Thinks*

Aaaaah. AAAAAH!

What we have here, is a failure to communicate! (Not you and I, K:N and TOM.)

TOM loads GAMEMAPS.CK4 and MAPHEAD.CK4. Keen:Next loads MAPHEAD.CK4 and CUSTMAPS.CK4

Your gamemaps file is the original levels, totally worthless, while your maphead is for your new levels. This is why you got the original game levels back, my program worked with the original game levels you sent me.

What you want to do then is take CUSTMAPS.CK4 and copy\rename it to GAMEMAPS.CK4, overwriting the old gamemaps file. This should open in TOM. (And to patch them you will need to REMOVE the %gamemaps custmaps.ck4 line from your patch file.)

If this doesn't work send me a link to your maphead and custmaps files. (The dropbox works brilliantly BTW.)
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

ohhhh interesting. very nice detective work there!

well i didnt have a problem opening the levels up in TOM, its just it doesnt load any graphics :/ i tried it again just now and it still doesnt work right. do i have to press some hotkey or something to display graphics? ugh.

but anyhoo, heres my zipped files, with the hopefully now correct gamemaps file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkqc47hdxb5k9 ... aphead.zip

thanks for sticking by my problems levellass and not abandoning me yet ;)
levellass

Post by levellass »

No, still the original maps. As a clue your modified game maps should be larger than 96.5Kb If you have a custmaps file, you could perhaps include that? And what are you editing graphics with, modkeen or keengraph?